You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, August 15th 2011, 12:46am

Drip systems for lawns

My friend and I are thinking about installing a drip system for his rather large lawn. Is this a good idea? If not, what type of system should we use?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, August 15th 2011, 2:04am

It sounds like a maintenance nightmare. Large lawn usually rotor heads or MP Rotators.

Good Luck

:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, August 15th 2011, 7:31pm

sub surface drip is the best way to conserve water for lawns

However for a large lawn this would be a very time consuming and costly vs installing a normal rotor/ mp rotator zone

Here is a video on a example install of sub surface netafim being installed.

sub surface drip installation

golfirr

Tuesday, August 16th 2011, 4:45am

If you are going to do this, I would spend the extra money and run a tracer wire with the pipe. It will save you in the long run.

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 2:16am

Lawn dripp system

If you are going to do this, I would spend the extra money and run a tracer wire with the pipe. It will save you in the long run.
Thank you very much for the advice. I just need to know what a tracer wire is and how this will help us. I'm a new-bee to all this stuff.

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 2:20am

Thank you!

sub surface drip is the best way to conserve water for lawns

However for a large lawn this would be a very time consuming and costly vs installing a normal rotor/ mp rotator zone

Here is a video on a example install of sub surface netafim being installed.

sub surface drip installation
Thank you funky town!

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 2:24am

It sounds like a maintenance nightmare. Large lawn usually rotor heads or MP Rotators.

Good Luck

:thumbup:
I have a mixed bag on this concept. Still thinking about all the in's and out's. Thank you for you time and any feed back good friend.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 10:32am

Unless you are paying a dollar a gallon for your water, sub-surface drip is a waste of money. It WILL eventually require complete replacement.

golfirr

Sunday, August 21st 2011, 2:20pm

Tracer wire is run right beside the pipe. I use a 14 gauge wire, but I would think anything would work. It is used so you can trace the pipe later on if you need to. Say you had to dig and area up, you can now locate the pipe and not put a shove though it.If you watched the video link that mitchgo posted, at the end the guy took a soil probe. What if he put the prob into the pipe? Tracer is just a safety net

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, August 22nd 2011, 11:17pm

At that point you might as well do overhead sprays cause your return in investment from water savings will take forever with 14 guage wire.. 1000' ++ of wire? insanse

Rate this thread