You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Challenged

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 5th 2011, 12:41am

Pr off and blown fuses

My esp-6tm Reads pr-off so I repalaced the fuse which was blown. The dial was set To the "off" position when the new fuse was installed, it immediately glowed and blew. I assume this means the short is coming from the transformer. Going to pull the wires and check out put tomorrow. Any ideas are welcome, weather is starting to warm up!!
;(

pschaeffer

Starting Member

Monday, May 9th 2011, 12:51pm

PR Off in Rain Bird ESP-6TM

I want to thank everyone for their very helpful notes on this subject. I had exactly the same problem (PR OFF) and found the solution here. I found that removing the Lithium battery caused the PR OFF message to fade even with the transformer plugged in. To be precise it didn't matter if the transformer was plugged in or not. In either case, removing the battery caused the PR OFF message to fade. This was a sure hint that either the transformer or the fuse had failed.

I examined the fuse and found no signs of failure. However, I tried replacing the fuse anyway and the controller came back to life. The old fuse had actually failed even though this was not readily apparent. Later I used a very bright light to (re)examine the old fuse and did observe a small discolored area.

Withing a few minutes everything was back to normal.

Henry24

Starting Member

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 8:12pm

RE: PR Off in Rain Bird ESP-6TM

I have a PR Off indicator and when I replace the fuse with the transform unpluged and the unit dial in the "off" position, I can successfully change it. Then, I can turn the dial to all the settings, including all programing, and the control board appears to work perfectly. as soon as I turn the switch on AND press the manual start button, the fuse blows again. It does not matter which zone is being started first. If it was one zone, I know it was the solenoid for that zone, but it happens with EVERY zone. Any ideas what the problem is?? I do know I had an electrical storm last week and I lost my cable modem, wireless router, and phone router when lightning hit a tree in the yard. Can lightning blow EVERY solenoid??

Thanks,

RUNNING OUT OF FUSES!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 9:42pm

RE: RE: PR Off in Rain Bird ESP-6TM

I have a PR Off indicator and when I replace the fuse with the transform unpluged and the unit dial in the "off" position, I can successfully change it. Then, I can turn the dial to all the settings, including all programing, and the control board appears to work perfectly. as soon as I turn the switch on AND press the manual start button, the fuse blows again. It does not matter which zone is being started first. If it was one zone, I know it was the solenoid for that zone, but it happens with EVERY zone. Any ideas what the problem is?? I do know I had an electrical storm last week and I lost my cable modem, wireless router, and phone router when lightning hit a tree in the yard. Can lightning blow EVERY solenoid??

Thanks,

RUNNING OUT OF FUSES!

And your checking of the wiring with a multimeter showed you what........

Benson

Unregistered

Sunday, September 4th 2011, 11:54am

RE: It worked!

Thanks for posting this. Just unplugged after trying everything else and it worked. Saved me a bunch of time and money.

Same for me, I took out the fuse, took out the battery, unplugged the 'wall wart adapter.' Waited 15 seconds. I put the battery back, I put the fuse back, plugged the wall adapter back in, and viola! back to normal.

dominicanyor

Unregistered

Friday, October 21st 2011, 1:12am

need help please

My timer swiss OR OFF and I have tried everything that many people have checked. I have change the transformer twice and still not working. Any help please???

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, October 21st 2011, 1:20am

Have you verified the plug actually works and that the GFI or breaker isn't flipped?

galante13

Unregistered

Sunday, March 11th 2012, 11:13pm

mr fixit

Followed your directions!!! WORKED EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

bisibob

Unregistered

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 4:03pm

Transformer

I've read all these threads, but the bottom line is that my transformer does not supply a steady power supply. It works fine for days, then flips to PR OFF. When I plug the transformer into another plug it instantly works fine for a couple more days. I've got to believe it's the transformer and I can't find a four wire replacement for the Rainbird ESP-4TM. There's plenty of transformers for other models, but not the Model 2650650 4 wire unit.

mrfixit

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 2:21am

I'm not so sure the problem is your transformer. There's could be a problem with the wiring that's causing an intermittent problem. Could be a solenoid going bad.
You need to run it manually a few times and see if the same numbered valve causes the problem.

If you still think you need a new transformer you may as well just buy a new 4 station controller. They're cheap enough.

Rate this thread