You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 12:39pm

Poly/pvc under the sidewalk

Don't know who mentioned here to use a pressure washer, but boy did it help me out. I needed to get under a 4 foot wide concrete sidewalk. After a few hours of digging out dirt/large/small rocks I tried the pressure washer. Presto. A three inch hole right through.

Whoever it was, many thanks.

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 7:50pm

If you have one. I used 2 1/2" PVC pipe cut to 30 degrees. It took me about 20 mins to get under 3 1/2' sidewalk given it is sandy in my yard.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 1st 2011, 8:03am

I started with a 6 ft crowbar. A couple football sized rocks. Very happy that job is done.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Friday, September 2nd 2011, 6:02pm

I used a 1" Sched 40 natural gas pipe. Started it with a 16oz hammer and then started hitting it with a 16lb sledge. No exaggeration it only took a few minutes to get it under my 4ft sidewalk. Once I pulled the pipe out the 3/4" poly slipped right underneath. I also didn't wash out the dirt from under the sidewalk.

My fiancee's brother recommended using a hose attachment but I didn't want to risk a sidewalk that cracks after a few years.

I plan on using this same technique to get underneath my walkway from the driveway to my front door.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 6th 2011, 8:54am

Gas pipe/sledge - good idea. Actually in my case I needed a three inch hole for a 3 inch drainage pipe. I planned to insert four ploy pipes just in case I need them for irrigation in the future....but I forgot. I'll keep the gas pipe in mind, thanks

Jasper

Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 5:52am

probly ought to put most anything that's run under concrete inside a sleeve, especially poly.

Just saying. :D