You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TeaMan

Sunday, September 18th 2011, 7:36am

Strainers

Do you guys think a strainer is needed before the RPZ? The installation pictures for them all show a strainer, and I'm on a municipal water system. It seems that it not be needed on a municipal system or are the RPZ devices that sensitive that even a small particle can cause them to malfunction?
TeaMan

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 18th 2011, 1:51pm

I don't install strainers for RPZ's

TeaMan

Sunday, September 18th 2011, 3:17pm

Good enough for me, one less thing to worry about, install, etc....
Thanks.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, September 19th 2011, 10:38am

I don't install strainers for RPZ's

Can you Explain?

As TeaMan points out, the liturature I've seen for Watts regarding their 009 RPZ has the following:

We recommend a strainer be installed ahead of 009 series assemblies to protect
the internal components from unnecessary fouling.
Caution: Do not install with strainer when backflow preventer is used on seldom-
used water lines which are called upon only during emergencies, such as
fire sprinkler lines.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 19th 2011, 4:56pm

It is the most conservative approach to include a strainer, but in practical usage on city water, there isn't enough debris of the right size to cause a full-on relief-valve dump - that being said, never say never - I have seen one instance of a loose solder blob blocking an inner port, making the relief valve dump.

It's a different story on well water, though. I filter the water with a 100-mesh strainer in those applications.

Rate this thread