You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, November 7th 2011, 4:18pm

Rain Bird ESP-6si Blows fuses even when it is in the off position

I have been having ongoing problems with my system. My landscaper came out and checked the system and replaced 2 solonoids and we thought we had the problem licked. I ran it through a complete cycle the other day and everything seemed fine. Went out to the garage today and even though the controller was in the off position, I once again had a PR OFF indicator on the controller. No zones had been watering. Do you think the controller is bad? Tired of replacing fuses.

mrfixit

Monday, November 7th 2011, 8:23pm

Is the fuse blowing the instant you replace it?

Are you using the correct transformer?

Are you sure the controller is actually off and doesn't try to run?

Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 8:45pm

No, the fuse doesn't blow the instant it is replaced. This problem has been going on for several weeks now. Initially, a fuse would blow after the system had gone through several zones. My landscape guy replaced two solenoids after testing all 6 and made sure all the wiring was tight. We assumed that would correct the problem.
Unfortunately, after running through a complete, I returned to the unit later and found the PR OFF message again. He came back and ran it through each zone with no problem. He then suggested that we turn the dial to OFF and leave it there. I left it alone for several hours without a problem and then ran through another cycle without incident.
Turned the dial to OFF again, came back the next day and the PR OFF message was back again. So, the question remains, why would it blow a fuse when it is in the OFF position?

mrfixit

Thursday, November 10th 2011, 4:23am

Maybe the fuse is too small. I had a fuse blowing problem once. I put a slightly larger fuse in and the controller worked for years after that. Actually It's still working. 12 years easy.

Maybe the controller's plugged into the same outlet as a washing machine?

Rate this thread