You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 11th 2011, 1:58pm

Significant slopes in a design

Hi everyone. I'm planning a new front yard system for the Spring. Last year I put a small system in the back successfully thanks to everyone here who helped out.

Hardest part is the design. New area in rectangular about 130 feet long. Ranges from 12 feet wide to 22 feet wide. Entire length slopes downward from the house. Clay soil. 5.5 gpm, 37 psi. I plan on all spray heads.

Question is about the slope. Should I calculate that spray heads will cover more area due to the clay soil and slope?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 11th 2011, 2:19pm

On a clay-soil slope, water from sprays will be rolling away before it penetrates to the desired depth. You might do better with MP Rotators, and a lower application rate.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 11th 2011, 2:34pm

Ok I'll check into them thanks.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 11th 2011, 5:55pm

Ok if I understrand it right these MP type rotors have a much lower flow rate. Good for me since I have low GPM. Less heads less valves. I'll go with these. Thanks. I should still get flow control valves right?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, December 12th 2011, 11:11am

Always get flow-control valves - pros know when and where they can do without flow-control zone valves, but the general public does not.

MP Rotators want more pressure than you would give spray nozzles, but their sizes and adjustability should make them a good fit.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, December 12th 2011, 12:36pm

Ok I'll get flow control valves.

Seems I can install 8 maybe 9 rotors with 16' radius @ my 37 psi and install down the the middle of the rectangle. I'll tighten up the spacing so I have definite head to head coverage.

Only need three zones, but I'll add an extra valve in my manifold.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, December 12th 2011, 4:09pm

If you are on a slope, you would generally water from the top. Your dimensions might allow for a single row with overthrow, or maybe you need a row at the bottom. Also, you would switch from the small size to the medium size of Rotator, as the width of the strip increased. They have a radius adjustment, for fine tuning.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 13th 2011, 8:06am

I think I'm good with one row. I may indeed need one or two large rotors for the widest parts.

Thanks again for pointing me to the proper parts. I'm all set for the Spring and it should install with not much difficulty.

Rate this thread