You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

njitgrad

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 1:32pm

how to determine irrigation layout

Complete noob here. I bought my house last summer and the previous (and original) owner of the home (ca. 1982) did not have a map containing the irrigation system layout for me. I am in the process of looking to purchase a large 20x30 canopy tent as an investment (for parties and such) and am concerning about striking a water line in my backyard with anchoring pins (there are about fourteen 24" long anchoring pins).

Just after I moved in last year I had some heads replaced/relocated by a local irrigation company. As I was watching them dig up and reroute some lines, I noticed that they were of the black flexible tubing type.

How will I know if I struck/punctured a water line with an anchoring pin?

Is there a way to figure out my layout by logical deduction?

I would assume that any straight line (give or take a foot in either direction) from one head to another (on the same zone) has a high probability of being in the path.

Any suggestions?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 1:54pm

Dig your anchor points by hand.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 8:38am

Two feet long? You can buy or rent a post hold digger and be very careful.

But if you do puncture one, it's very easy to fix. Just cut a two inch piece, take to Lowes/HD and get couplings and stainless steel worm clamps to fit.

njitgrad

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 10:30am

Let me clarify...the tent is not a permanent fixture...i plan to take it down after every social event. Therefore I will be driving the anchor pins down with a hammer and removing them when the event is over.

The question I still have is how will I know if I punctured a line though?

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 11:01am

Let me clarify...the tent is not a permanent fixture...i plan to take it down after every social event. Therefore I will be driving the anchor pins down with a hammer and removing them when the event is over.

The question I still have is how will I know if I punctured a line though?

Put the spikes in the ground, remove spikes, turn on zones, see if water comes out of the holes.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 12:39pm

Getting back to your first question, turn on the zone that controls the heads in the tent area. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line and that is likely where the lines run. They should be buried at least 6 inches. I would then not worry too much as the spikes are thin, and the probability....etc......

Or

You can dig a bit now to see where the lines are and then you know forever.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 7:14pm

If the black poly pipe is not too deep, break it at will and don't sweat it. If you want a surer thing, look to anchor a tent in a different way than by anchor pins you screw into the ground.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 8:09am

If you will use this tent often try this. Dig a square hole deep enough. Put in a box with no sides. Fill with concrete to 3 inches below soil. Add stainless steel eyehook. "Best" anchor you can have.

Rate this thread