You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 4:49pm

Just venting

After hand digging in rockdirt for 400 feet or so, carefully 8 inches, I encounter the CATV cable - 2 inches deep!!!!!! At least I didn't hit the gas line or electric service.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 6:04pm

"Call before you dig" is the law in NJ, not that you will get a cable drop located.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 7:25pm

Call in a locate
http://www.nj1-call.org/index.aspx

(800) 272-1000

Yah.. Your lucky it wasn't the gas line.

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 7:08am

I'm gonna join this gripe.
It's the law in Texas but the cable company in Houston can't be bothered.
It's "good luck and call us when you break it."

My shovel is magnetically attracted to cable line.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 7:12am

I know where my utilities are. When I bought the house they were marked out so we could get the CATV installed. Even then I was careful just in case they were near the 8 inch mark. Never thought I'd have trouble at 2 inches.

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 3:36pm

It's free to get all lines marked. You never know what they did. Even then I hit my cable too at about 6 inches. Thankfully it was in poly pipe sheath. I cut through some old unmarked cable wires. I was like "what is that?".

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 22nd 2012, 8:26am

Mine was also in poly. Only scratched it with my pick ax luckily.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 22nd 2012, 1:10pm

I've seen them laying under freshly layed sod. We carry a roll of coax and splice kits in all our service and install vehicles. You ever want an upset client, cut off his T.V. and Internet!