You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 31st 2012, 5:07pm

How tight to tighten

Hi everyone,

Rainy day, so I'm putting together my swing joints to my heads and poly fittings. Always had a problem with tightening plumbing fittings, usually not tight enough. So, I made them so tight I destroyed four swing joints. Had to explain, but I threw them away. So, I'll get new swing joints, they are cheap.

My concerns are that I may have damaged a fitting or head, although the plastic on these items appear much stronger. Secondly, now that I'm not making them really tight, will I have leaks down the road.

Question is if I have no leaks when I do my leak test am I safe? And how tight do you go?

Thanks

Monday, April 2nd 2012, 9:06am

Can't see anything more than hand tight. I turn until I can't and quit. No tools.
Using plumbers tape?

Ground flex can cause any screw connection to come loose but that's pretty rare in my area. Can't speak for the frozen north. Seems like swing joints would absorb any movement.

If it passes the leak test you should be ok.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, April 2nd 2012, 4:47pm

Thank you GatorGuy