You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

oborseth

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 18th 2012, 7:24pm

Can buried cables be routed over or under?

Hello. I'm about to start digging trenches to install my sprinkler system. Problem is that the utility company just marked their lines and there is one that extends pretty far into where I planned on planting lawn. Can I route the sprinkler lines over the utility lines and simply put them in some sort of enclosure where they come to the surface.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 19th 2012, 8:10am

You would want to hear from the pros here but in my case my utilities should have been buried at least 18 inches deep. My sprinkler lines went down 9 inches, so I was CAREFUL when digging near the utilities but had no encounters with them. Except the CATV that was 2 inches deep near where it exited the dirt to go to the house.

Thursday, April 19th 2012, 8:53am

In this area the utilities are always a good bit deeper than the wires since the wires go fairly shallow.
Excluding, as mentioned by wsommariva, cable tv, which can go anywhere from a few inches deep to on top of the ground.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Thursday, April 19th 2012, 12:55pm

I hand dug anywhere I was within 2ft of a marked utility line for liability purposes. CATV was my biggest concern. I watched them install my neighbor's CATV and they only went as deep as a spade shovel would penetrate. So basically, his CATV is under his sod. In the future it will probably rise to the surface.