You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Watersong

Unregistered

Thursday, April 19th 2012, 6:32pm

System not responding but...

My irrigation water was turned on today and the sprinklers came up in 3 out of the 4 zones automatically all at once, usually it is one at a time on a programmed schedule. I could not turn the system off from the control device in the garage so I had to use the irrigation "key" to shut off the water to the sprinklers.
I have reset power to the controller in the garage, I have closed all the valve screws, and still nothing except nonstop sprinklers running on 3 out of 4 zones. The one zone not working at all just doesn't do anything, no heads pop up.
Any ideas>??????

Friday, April 20th 2012, 8:07am

Usually this is caused by either trash in the system holding the valve open or not closing the bleed screws that were opened for winterization. You closed all the bleed screws and it still happens?
Out of curiosity, if you try to turn the one non-working zone on manually does it work?
I'd also wonder if the controller was failing. You say you turned it off and they still ran. Can you unplug it?

Watersong

Unregistered

Friday, April 20th 2012, 2:46pm

I can't turn on the 1 zone at all.
I can power off the controller in the garage by unplugging it AND taking out the backup battery, which I did and that still didn't change anything.
Yes the bleed screws are closed, I reopened them and then turned them all the way tight just to make sure.
Shouldn't I be able to control the system from the green box in the yard?? I can't, but it seems like should be able to in case the controller in the garage ever goes bad (or has gone bad??).

mrfixit

Friday, April 20th 2012, 2:57pm

Turn off the solenoids at the valve. Turn them clockwise til their snug.

Watersong

Unregistered

Friday, April 20th 2012, 3:28pm

Yep they are snug. One note though - when I opened them (to close them again ;) ) three sprayed out water from the stem and one barely dripped water of the the stem. Is that normal or is that a clue to the problem??? I suspect the one barely dripping is the zone that is turning on and off correctly but I have no idea.
I just turned on the system again and reprogammed the time, day, etc...watering schedule and then I was able to send a "test" thru the system for two minutes per station. The test DID make the previous "non-working" zone work but it did not shut off the other three zones. The sprinklers in those zones just go nonstop so I had to turn off the main water again to get them shut down.
Any suggestions?? I would love to fix this on my own :thumbsup:

WAtersong

Unregistered

Friday, April 20th 2012, 4:45pm

Got it...saw a video about cleaning out the solenoid. What a relief that worked. My husband will be so happy!!

Rate this thread