You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 10:11am

Best pop-up replacements?

I have older pop-up sprinkler heads that I was looking to replace. Looks like a good replacement is the Toro Prostream XL Rubber 3/4" female 3.0 GPM Adjustable Circle Full Blaster.

I wanted to know if I should be considering any other replacement heads from other manufacturers like Rain Bird, K Rain, Hunter, Irritrol, Signature or Weathermatic.

The reason I am replacing all the heads is because over time these have worn and they now stay up and don't recede. Application is for half acre home lawn.

Thanks in advance for your help/recommendation.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 12:30pm

just what make and model are the older heads - that is important

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 10:11am

I currently have a Nelson pop ups

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 2:37pm

Gear drive heads? Impact heads? If they are gear drive heads, use a Hunter PGP to replace.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 8:31pm

I prefer Hunter PGP over any other sprinklers out there. They work great, are reliable, and have even coverage and distance. They have the Hunter PGP Ultras out there too, and I have tried them, but the original Hunter PGP-ADJ is still the best for me as they have a stronger spring to retract them. The newer Ultra's spring is a lot lighter, and doesn't retract sometimes if you have sandy soil.

I have tried Toro's (including the Pro stream XL), Rain Bird's, and Orbit's, and have all had leaking, no turning, poor coverage, or break easily. Hunter's never gave me a problem of anything. I have Hunter PGP heads, PGV valves, and may get one of their timers too, but right now, I'm good with what I have with an Orbit 6 zone timer that is remote controlled.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Rate this thread