You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 19th 2012, 10:39pm

Check your entire waterline for a partially closed valve, which can turn a perfect system into a thumper.

Wednesday, June 20th 2012, 8:11am

Congrats on 3000 posts!

So my valves are all on a manifold, would a faulty diaphragm cause thumping?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 20th 2012, 12:32pm

In my Humble Opinion, Yes.

I had a repair like this last year. It is all the same.

Let us know.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 2:07pm

Since I have 2 types of valves (thanks to the builder installing the front and contractor the back) I replaced one of the thumper valve diaphragms (rainbird) and that did not solve that zone's problems. There was nothing wrong with the old one that I could tell, but the new one did NOT solve the thumps.

Could the backflow be causing the thumps? It has a small crack and needs to be replaced anyway, just working up the nerve to give that a shot.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 3:23pm

You have to reduce zone flow. Almost nothing else will do. Change nozzles. Change heads. Install a flow-control bonnet on the zone valve.

Or maybe find a leak and fix it.

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 11:11pm

I guess there could be a leak somewhere. . .

The Rainbird valves are 100DV, I can't seem to spot a flow control bonnet for that model, any idea if they make one or another would work?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 8:27am

Of course they make one - it's the 100DVF

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 9:00am

I take it the bonnets are interchangeable so I don't have to fully replace the valve, just remove the screws, disconnect the solenoid, and replace.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 11:15am

I will keep a watch on this one. I want to see how it turns out.

Good Luck :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Sunday, July 8th 2012, 11:31am

Replaced one of the troubled zone valves (100DV) with a bonnet from a 100DVF. I turned down the flow until it didn't thump. One of the heads now only sends water 1', the rest are not even covering 1/2 what they did before and leaving a lot of lawn without water. Another oddity, some of the heads were "jumping" up and down, or pulsating up and down.

When the system is thumping, most of the "noise" appears to be coming on the copper side, I barely feel any pulse/thud on the valve, but the backflow looks like it will come off the house! (little exaggeration, but there is vibration)

I think the other suggestion was a leak in the line. I'm guessing I can shut off each sprinkler head then see if I can feel the water running through the valve? Is that the best way to see if there is a leak? Any other ideas?

Rate this thread