You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 25th 2012, 5:04pm

Start over at the pump (keep the pump and the suction-side plumbing)

NABRIL

Tuesday, June 26th 2012, 1:07pm

thank you Boots.

I should have asked this before...

I read that I should select my sediment filter based on GPM, and NOT my piping size. I've been planning and bought a 1.5" filter because my pipe is 1.5, the previous sentence has me thinking. Do I need to bother with measuring the GPM of my pump? And if so, how do I measure that? Turn on spigot and measure how much water comes out in 60 seconds? Is is that simple? Do I not bother?

thank you

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 26th 2012, 3:25pm

You'll never use all the water the pump can push out of the open pipe - at actual operating pressures, the flow will be much less

NABRIL

Tuesday, June 26th 2012, 8:29pm

thanks for helping, but i dont understand what you are trying to say with your reply.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 26th 2012, 9:42pm

A 1.5" strainer will support the flow of a 1.5" line. I agree with boots, a 100 mesh screen is ideal for sprinkler systems.
As for assembly, I think you'll be suprised with the amt. of give you'll have once you make the cut. I would assemble the entire assembly prior to cutting to get your precise dimensions. FYI...the second shut off valve isn't necessary, I just like to have the shut off after the filter. Eliminating the second shut off will buy you some space also. It is, however, important that you position the pressure relief valve between your pump and the filter.

NABRIL

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 10:07am

thanks again Central.

In my install I have spigot, shutoff valve (close by), and eventually filter. Dont I want the pressure relief valve to be the first thing exiting the pump, BEFORE the shutoff valve? Say I have the shutoff valve and the spigot accidentally closed. The pressure buildup could ruin my pump, right?

Does the relief valve HAVE to be the 530c poppet style? Or can it be something like this: http://www.pexuniverse.com/zurn-p1000a-30c-wilkins-3-4-pressure-relief-valve

It's about half the cost, and thus why I ask.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NABRIL" (Jun 28th 2012, 10:12am)

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 7:53pm

It doesn't matter as long as it's positioned before any device that could decrease flow while the pump is running. I.E. plugged filter, closed shutoff, or faulty sprinkler valve. My installs go...pump-spigot-relief valve-filter-shutoff valve. Spigot goes on top (same as yours) to make priming easier and before shutoff in case one wanted to use a garden hose off the spigot, they can close the shutoff and still be protected with the relief valve.
As for the relief valve...not a good idea. That relief valve is preset at 30psi. Most sprinkler systems run closer to 40psi operating pressure. So that valve would blow before your sprinklers even popped up. The adjustable relief valves I linked are more expensive because they are adjustable. I would look for one that is preset closer to 60-70psi. But, you have to be careful, because your system may be operating in this pressure range. Of course, the adjustable relief valve takes all the guess work out of it! :thumbup:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Central Irrigation" (Jun 28th 2012, 8:16pm)

Rate this thread