You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 8:30pm

Rainbird T40 Vandal Collar? Elbow Grease at Max

Hi

I can see on the top of my rotors that it say T40, but I'm at my wits end on adjusting the arc to a smaller one.

I saw the videos and the T Bird instructions that refer to the vandal collar needing to be pulled down.

I can see there are 3 different segments on the post. I try to pull the middle one out of its groove and move it, but it appears to be unmovable. I even got a bit heavy handed and tried to put a screw driver in there and pop it out.

It honestly looks like its going to break off. The screw driver is making a mark in the collar at this point.

Is there an alternate T40 that doesnt have the vandal collar as described in the instructions?

I'm afraid Im going to break this thing if I give it more elbow grease.

Any help appreciated

B

mrfixit

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 10:45pm

Is this your sprinkler? T40
You shouldn't have to pry on anything.

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 11:46pm

I'm just identifying it from the "T40" shown on the top of the rotor.

Would there be another way to be sure its actually a T40?

It has 2 flat head screws on the top, one to adjust the range and the other doesn't appear to do anything.

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 1:14am

Everytime I've adjusted a sprinkler with a "vandal collar" I just take it off with my fingers. It's always been plastic and it comes right off.
Granted I don't see Rainbird rotors as often as Hunter. I'm sure there's some I haven't seen.
Look at the diagram again. See the skinny ring?
Are you prying the thing right above it and not the ring?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 7:44am

the Vandal Collar resembles a plastic shower curtain ring - in place it prevents the top part of the rotor from being pushed down against the rest of the head, which is part of changing the arc of coverage

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 10:05pm

Think I got the "collar" which is a split ring about the size of a washer

I think I got it!

I pulled up the rotor with no water on and found a ring about 1/4 in. tall in there which has a split in it, which looks like it will allow you to gently split it apart to allow it to be moved down the rotor.

Initially I saw 3 segments there but there is another one about the size of a washer which i wouldn't call a "collar" but more of a ring - maybe that's misled me.

From the Rainbird video on Youtube and the manual, I didn't understand the ring was so thin.

I haven't done the adjustment yet, but I think this will be the one I'm after!

Thanks for the help all!

Rate this thread