You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Aric6785

Unregistered

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 2:50pm

Valve will not close

Hey guys, new to the forum but I'm in need of help. I have 4 Hunter SRV valves that control 4 zones in my systems. A few days ago, zone 4 came on and would not shut off. The solenoid is brand new but when I replaced the diaphragm all was good in the world and the zone operated normally again. Fast Forward to today... That same zone came back on by itself again!! I've removed the Bonnet and clean out the diaphragm and the valve to no avail... It seems when I put a new diaphragm in that its only a matter of time until the valve opens back up again... I thought about just replacing the bonnet. Can I replace a SRV bonnet for a PGV if it's the same dimension? Thanks for your help!!

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 2:58pm

When the zone comes on is there anything showing on the controller?
When it comes on again disconnect the wires from the solenoid.
If it is electrical then the zone should shut off.
If it does shut off you have a wiring or controller problem.

If not, we look at the valve.

Aric6785

Unregistered

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 3:04pm

I took off the solenoid and put on a solenoid that was disconnected and it still came on, so I think we can rule out electrical.

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 3:08pm

Darn. And it sounded so good.

Pressure surges? City or pump?
Is it by any chance closest to the main water supply?

Aric6785

Unregistered

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 3:14pm

It's City. I haven't noticed pressure surges. Just every time I open the main that zone comes on. All other zones work but the other zone remains on.

Aric6785

Unregistered

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 3:32pm

Can I replace the SRV bonnet with a PGV without replacing the entire valve?

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 4:00pm

I have them side by side and it sure looks possible. They look identical. However, I won't go any where near saying yes or that they will work if you do. I'll just say that we and Hunter do not recommend it.

mrfixit

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 7:59pm

Is the spring missing?

Aric6785

Unregistered

Saturday, August 4th 2012, 7:26am

No. The spring is there.

Rate this thread