You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cmichael26

Starting Member

Sunday, August 12th 2012, 1:00pm

Valve and pipe design for mulitiple water sources

I have three exsisting zones run off of city water in the front of my house. I want to add three zones to my back yard but I also want to pump water out of a lake in back. I need to tie all the zones together so that I could use either water sourse for the whole system. Im not sure how to design the valves and backflo's to be able to select either sourse. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 12th 2012, 1:59pm

The very first thing you do is to re-plumb the existing city-water connection, so that it will have an RPZ backflow preventer. That is mandatory.

Monday, August 13th 2012, 8:08am

First, listen to Boots.

What you want can be done but seems like a lot of digging and piping.
Fairly easy if you are going to manually switch between the sources, bit complicated if you want automatic switching.
Put in your RPZ, add a ball valve on the main line, T in your lake source after that ball valve, have a ball valve on the lake source, have fun.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 13th 2012, 12:36pm

As long as a system has a single mainline, with a 24VAC signal controlling water flow into the mainline, it isn't any great hardship to add a single switch to toggle between water sources.