You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dalphi

Sunday, September 9th 2012, 5:59pm

Determining service line size

Hi, I'm trying to plan out an installation, but I cannot find the line from my water meter where it goes into the house. All the designer services seem to want to know the service line size, along with water meter size (5/8"), pressure, and GPM.

The water meter itself is outside the house, probably about 1.5 feet from the foundation. The pipe from the water meter is probably at least 3 feet underground. I cannot reach the water meter with my arm from the surface. The water meter sits inside a small well thats about 8-10" in diameter.

I've been under the house looking where I think it should enter the house, that is where it would enter the house if it took the shortest path from my meter to my crawl space. However, I can't find any sign of a pipe entering the house into the crawl space here.

I can find multiple copper pipes that appear to provide water for things like sinks, etc. Should these be the same size as the service line? Is my only choice to dig down around the meter to find the pipe?

This is a 1950's house, but I suspect that most of the plumbing was replaced at some point. The copper pipes are nicely insulated with what looks like modern foam insulation.

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 9th 2012, 7:30pm

Why not call in a locate? See if you can't get the utilities marked out.

dalphi

Sunday, September 9th 2012, 9:34pm

Why not call in a locate? See if you can't get the utilities marked out.
I was sort of under the impression that they wouldn't mark the line from the meter into the house. The meter is right next to house, not more than a foot and half from the foundation.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 10th 2012, 11:26am

You might need some local experience to help you. It seems you are at a dead end.