You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, October 1st 2012, 12:31am

Hunter Blue/Red or Grey : Long Distance Low Volume?

I volunteered to retrofit an old system that uses Hunter PGP nozzles. I know nothing about sprinklers, but am learning fast. The system is old enough the rubber covers on the PGP's are UV-deteriorated and brittle, many covers are missing or cracked. The nozzles are red.

In one area the throw is fine, but the volume is way too high leading to puddles.
What are my nozzle options for keeping the current throw (30-35') but with less volume?
I've tried the set screw, but it is as far out as it can reasonably go.

Should I replace the red nozzles or just clean them?
Any why do the Red and Blue nozzles in the Hunter charts use different PSI ratings (0's for Red, 5's for Blue)?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 1st 2012, 9:07am

the red nozzles are the original designs, more or less - they have the widest range of flow options, and they should throw further than the blue nozzles

Monday, October 1st 2012, 2:28pm

Do the nozzles wear out? Need cleaning?

If I have a red nozzle and too much volume in an area, how can I lower the volume for that emitter only?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 1st 2012, 5:08pm

Nozzles might get clogged. Nozzles on fixed above-ground shrub heads can fall apart from sunlight exposure.

You don't adjust the flow of a nozzle. You install the nozzle with the correct flow in the first place. That's why a Hunter PGP comes with 12 different red nozzles, each with a different flow.

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 2:42am

Mr Boots: I have the flow chart, so I know the flow rate per nozzle.

What I'm trying to understand is how to get the maximum spray distance with the minimum GPM flow. The corner of the area in question gets flooded long before the rest of the lawn is sufficiently watered.

I can't readily change the locations of emitters. I will try to put higher flow nozzles on the other side, to minimize the throw on the problem side.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 9:34am

You might want to get a pressure gauge and a pitot tube adapter for it, and take pressure readings at the nozzles of the PGP heads.

One good reason to go slow is that the oldest red nozzles can throw farther than today's red nozzles, and it's just possible you need every foot of throw the current nozzles provide. If your only issue with the system is one or two wet areas in corners, you might check to see if the corner heads have the same exact nozzles of the half-circle heads that are running at the same time, which would make your corner watering twice as heavy.

Friday, October 5th 2012, 2:50pm

Ahghghghgghghghghghghg

So I went the sprinkler supply house and they say the red nozzles are not only discontinued, but that blue nozzles won't fit in my old spray heads. Why would Hunter do this? The supply house can't get more reds.

I scrounged up a few red nozzles anyway, and found that the lowest flow ones gave the longest throw... but not nearly enough to reach the center of the lawn. Overall pressure seems good, but I don't have a pressure gauge.

I put in a brand new (blue) Hunter PGP and found it had comparable throw to the old one, but leaked more at the base of the popup (leading to a messy muddy puddle on the sidewalk).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 5th 2012, 4:49pm

Don't believe the supply house. Hunter needs to keep making the red nozzles for replacement purposes.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 6th 2012, 5:55pm

Agreed! Ask for the stock pile they have in the back that they give to all the contractors who refuse to use the new blue nozzles. I'll guarantee they have some.

Rate this thread