You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jrmtl

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 8:00am

New to board and sprinkler systems... got a few estimates and need advice.

Hello all,

What a great website and very informative. I was quoted for a few systems and one 'hunter product' guy gave me a quote without a backflow valve install...

Is this normal practice or is he cutting corners ?

Much appreciated

JR

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 9:11am

what is normal practice depends entirely on your location

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 10:23am

In my opinion may not be qualified to install irrigation system.

I would check to see if your state has a contractor license requirement, and if he has one.

Check to see if you need a permit, and if he is qualified to get one.

You may want to see if he has insurance.

Good Luck!
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

jrmtl

Wednesday, October 24th 2012, 5:50pm

Thanks for the tips... much appreciated.

I have estimates for Hunter system 2 yrs warranty
and Rain bird 5 yrs warranty.

Should I consider this as I make a decision ?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 25th 2012, 8:22am

5 year warranty is hard to pull off. I would be very skeptical of that. That is sure to get complaints from the bbb. 2 year warranty is reasonable. 5 year warranty is does not make sense to me at all. Yes, it may be what you want to hear from a sprinkler company, but it is not a very realistic expectation. If we are talking about five years, you may want to see the owners medical records.

I hope that helps.

Dan :thumbsup:

jrmtl

Thursday, October 25th 2012, 10:35am

It seems that Rain bird in Canada offers a 5yr warranty .
I've gotten a couple of quotes for a rain bird install with this.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 25th 2012, 4:56pm

Rainbird as a manufacture of Sprinkler materials is completely different than dealing with an irrigation contractor. Yeah, the 1.50 sprinkler head is under warranty, but the skilled labor that is driving to your house to install it is burning gas, and is expecting to be paid for his time that day.

The material is a small part of a warranty issue.

I love to get the occasional warranty call because it freaks people out when you do what you said you would do and repair something for free.

I could not do that for 5 years. I am happy to do it for 2 years.

Thanks

Dan

jrmtl

Thursday, October 25th 2012, 5:34pm

So if I read what you are saying ... go with Hunter for 2 yrs and at a cheapier cost ? :)
There's a 400$ diff between quotes from rain bird and hunter.

Any experience with either ?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 25th 2012, 6:45pm

I am trying to say that the Contractor is giving the warranty on his/her work using Hunter/Rainbird parts. Design and installation are very important for low maintenance sprinkler systems.

I think you are getting hung up on RainBird or Hunter. The real warranty that you need to focus on is from the contractor because Rainbird will not come out to your house and replace a sprinkler head that is incorrectly installed or defective.

The contractor that you choose to hire will or will not. They all say that they will, but it is not usually the case that all contractors earn a good reputation from providing warranty work.
:thumbsup:
Thanks
I hope this was helpful.

mrfixit

Thursday, October 25th 2012, 9:28pm

Can you tell us what model sprinkler heads they intend to install? What model controller? What model valves?
Maybe you could ask them each for three references. Call the people and see if they've had problems.

Rate this thread