You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 6:19pm

1" Watts 800M4FR

My mother had a sprinkler system installed about 5 years ago and always had it blown out by the company that installed it. This year she asked if I could do it for her instead of paying the $65 they charge. I won't even get into the buried in dirt zone valves and non-sealed wire nuts... X(

I hooked my compressor up to the test port on the outlet side of the backflow preventer and as soon as I turned on the air it began leaking out of the top of the Watts 800M4FR. My 2 year old Wilkins doesn't do this.

Am I looking at a defective backflow preventer here? Water doesn't leak while under pressure from the water supply but I suspect the backflow prevention is non-existent now. I'm also not sure which repair kit to buy on the website for this model if someone could point me in that direction.

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 7:05pm

Now you know why the pro gets the big money. :)

Connect on the upstream side. The Wilkins is a special animal, and not typical.

By the way, you are letting yourself in for doing all maintenance on the system, as people who do their own winterizing are a bottom priority to the pros when it comes to in-season repairs.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Tuesday, November 13th 2012, 9:05am

Now you know why the pro gets the big money. :)

Connect on the upstream side. The Wilkins is a special animal, and not typical.

By the way, you are letting yourself in for doing all maintenance on the system, as people who do their own winterizing are a bottom priority to the pros when it comes to in-season repairs.

I won't let them go near it again. This being a "Pro" install I now have to dig out the valve box and seal the wires next spring.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 13th 2012, 12:48pm

You may be surprised to learn that "unsealed" wire connections were standard, and no system problems resulted from their use, especially when installers used deep valve boxes instead of the half-height boxes seen commonly today.

Rate this thread