You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

The Corinthian

Monday, December 17th 2012, 2:30am

Questions on PVB Assembly

Hi, I'm a first time poster.
I've been doing some research on how to build a PVB assembly. So far, I know the assembly will be out of 1" Type L, hard copper pipe with brass PVB/valves, and will be connected to pvc mainlines.

I've gotten stuck on a few things:

1) Can I use galvanized pipe instead? I only decided on copper b/c galvanized seemed frowned upon on the plumbing forums, but I've also seen professional assemblies built out of galvanized pipe. Also I'm somewhat worried about residential copper theft which is apparently a not uncommon occurrence. I won't be mixing both.

2) My plan will possibly have two types of unions (for servicing reasons): (1) copper-to-copper and (2) copper-to-pvc; I'm thinking brass compression unions for (1), but what's the best practice for (2)? Also, both will probably be buried.

3) Are soldered joints a bad idea for the buried portion of the assembly? If so, what would I use instead?

4) Are copper fittings universal, or dependent on whether I use 'pipe' vs 'tube', Type K vs L? So for ex., if I go to a big box store will I have to worry about whether I picked the right 1" elbow for the copper I'm using?

5) I live in South Texas where hot is an understatement - It was 81 deg. today :D. Will that affect the exposed copper or even the water flowing through it?

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, December 17th 2012, 8:23am

Normally you want copper coming from the house to the PVB. Then pvc to the valves. I guess you don't have freezing problems so the install will be permanent. No unions needed. You can replace some parts of the PVB if they fail. Leave some room to replace the PVB if it ever gets beyond repair.

I think they only sell one type of copper fittings.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, December 17th 2012, 12:12pm

If you want to avoid losing sleep over your brass PVB being stolen, you can always use the Toro PVB along with schedule 80 PVC risers and nipples to connect it to the supply plumbing.

The Corinthian

Thursday, December 20th 2012, 1:34pm

Thanks for the responses.

Is it ok to have soldered joints in the buried part of the assembly?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, December 20th 2012, 9:01pm

buried solder joints don't seem to be a problem, but you will never see a solder joint on the buried supply line that runs from the street to the basement water meter

Rate this thread