You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

NABRIL

Thursday, December 20th 2012, 3:05pm

Downward sloping front lawn sprinklers leak out. Install check valve sprinklers?

As the subject says, my front lawn slopes downward quite a bit. I dont have the exact angle, but it can easily be a foot to 2 change in elevation. I've notived that some of the heads at the very bottom, leak out when the watering is done, and I read in another thread somewhere that sprinkler heads exist that can prevent this leaking; they have a check valve that precents the flow of water back out, and it also alleviates the issue of water spurting out of the heads before it. Sure, the installer of the system should have put these, but they didn't, and I'm fighting that battle now.

I attach a picture of my sprinkler layout, with the light green/gray signifying the front lawn. My system has 2 zones: 1 zone with the large rotary heads (In orange), and a second zone with the spray heads in green. After reading that thread, I figure that I can replace the 2 rotors in the front with check valve ones, and some of the end spray heads towards the front. Am I right?

Thanks
NABRIL has attached the following file:

mrfixit

Thursday, December 20th 2012, 8:06pm

If they leak 24 hours a day it's a valve problem. If it's just drainage then yes the check valves will work.
--
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-B…804-SAM-PRS.htm
--
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Produc…4-CV-R&CartID=1

NABRIL

Thursday, December 20th 2012, 9:04pm

Thank you
Which should I replace in my drawing?

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Friday, December 21st 2012, 8:04am

Replace the ones that leak only if you want. As long as it's not a valve problem.

I have rotors that drain when off. No check valve available in that model, so I live with it.

If you water is very very expensive and you lose allot, then change.

NABRIL

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 9:14am

thank you and happy NY
Water cost is of no concern, since I am using well water. However, I dont want to waste it either, and I hate the large puddles that accumulate on the sidewalk.

The irrigation company installed Toro brand for everything. Any preference? Pricewise, they are all relatively close, so not a big issue; I only need to buy 3 at most, so this doesnt involve a big expenditure.

I see that mrfixit pasted 2 links for Hunter and Rainbird. I would prefer (if i had a choice) to stay with Toro since each brand appears to have specific threading of the nozzles (female vs male), etc.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NABRIL" (Jan 3rd 2013, 9:19am)

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 12:35pm

What model of Toro rotors?

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 2:25pm

If the Toros work for you then stay with them.

Hunter and Rainbird are the brands most liked here. I have Hunter and Toro in my systems.

Central irr will give you better advice.

NABRIL

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 7:25pm

What model of Toro rotors?

CENTRAL----thanks again. I correct-----I have Rainbird 5000 rotors. I was looking at the T5 series on the SW site for 2 reasons. The technician from the irrigation company came to look at my leaking rotor, and told me that the puddles come from the water stream hitting the tall grass blades. He might be partially right, but I think he is full of it. The T5 extends 5 inches and comes with a optional check valve; however, I dont see the valve on the SW site, so I may have to call. With the T5, I could avoid the so called tall grass, and I gain an inch which will help me overcome the downward slopping angle of the grass blades. My main goal is to avoid the huge puddles that form from water flowing out of that one rotor.

Brand-wise, I really dont care. I simply have a bucket full of male threaded Toro spare nozzle heads, and I wanted to stay consistent. However, this is only 1 rotor I am replacing so spare parts is not an issue.

The SW site does not sell the Toro T5 with the check valve, so I will look at other brands---the ones suggested by mrfixit.

thank you

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NABRIL" (Jan 6th 2013, 8:29pm)

Rate this thread