You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Marvel

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 6:54am

Multiple Zones Running

Greetings!

I have a 4 zone sprinkler system that recently started acting up only when running using the timer. Multiple zones are running at once & the lack of water pressure is causing ruts to appear in my lawn. If I run the sprinkler manually, everything works as expected with one zone running at a time. At first I thought that I caused the problem by making a change to the pin settings but yesterday I set all the pins to off (depressed) except for the pin for today (pulled out). Same thing happened- multiple zones started running at once. The controller is set to turn on extremely early in the morning so I do not know if it starts out working properly & develops problems as it goes through the zones. Model is an Intermatic R8806R101C.

Any help would be appreciated.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 7:33am

Did you do any lawn work that would have disturbed the wiring to the valves? If two wires are now touching they will both open.

Maybe wires in the valve box are touching

Do you have a master valve? Maybe one valve is stuck in the open position. If so take it apart and clean the insides.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 9:49am

the Intermatic controller is one made to control an indexing valve, and it is the indexing valve that is your problem, most likely.

Marvel

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 2:00pm

Did you do any lawn work that would have disturbed the wiring to the valves? If two wires are now touching they will both open.

Maybe wires in the valve box are touching

Do you have a master valve? Maybe one valve is stuck in the open position. If so take it apart and clean the insides.
Nothing changed recently that would cause such an issue with the wiring but I did take a look- no wires are touching.

the Intermatic controller is one made to control an indexing valve, and it is the indexing valve that is your problem, most likely.
Had to Google indexing valves... :D I suspect that you may be right. Odd that it only occurs when it's being run by the timer, though. I did find a helpful video on how to change out the stem & disk. The way my is installed is going to be very painful to replace- the water pipe leading into the valve is above the screws to open it. Mine also has a rotating stem at the top that allows me to go through the zones manually. I did pull that piece off & reseated it- doubt very much if that is going to resolve the issue though.

Thank you both for your responses. I've set the time so that it will start in the morning tomorrow- that way I can perhaps get a better idea on what might be happening. I suspect I'm going to have to bite the bullet & pull it fully apart to repair it.

http://www.autolawnsprinklers.com/wordpress/2009/12/replace-stem-disc-index-valve/

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 2:48pm

The difference between timer operation and manual activation is that hours of non-operation have elapsed prior to your activating the water manually. An indexing valve that sticks or is in need of a new central disc is "settling" back to a state that allows normal activation of a single zone, during those hours of non-operation. The controllers that operate these indexing valves are so constructed as to provide a few minutes delay between zone operation, specifically to allow the indexing valve to complete its movement from one zone to the next. An indexing valve in need of service is not completing its movement in the few minutes of delay between one zone and the next, so it malfunctions.

Marvel

Sunday, January 20th 2013, 8:17am

Makes total sense &, of course, you were right (as you already knew ;) ). Next question... is a stem disk a generic part or am I going to have to track down one that is specific to my model (Fimco Manufacturing 4 zone)? Living in FL, I really need to get this resolved quickly but would prefer to go the DIY route if I can.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Marvel" (Jan 20th 2013, 8:27am)

Marvel

Sunday, January 20th 2013, 8:38am

Never mind... a little research allowed me to answer my own question. Looks like a trip to Home Depot is in store for me today! Wish me luck as I slowly build my DIY skills...

Marvel

Tuesday, January 22nd 2013, 7:49pm

Nothing is ever easy, is it??? I think the issue is finally resolved but not before experiencing a few more headaches. Home Depot did not carry the right stem & disc for my Fimco (1 1/2 inch). neither did Lowe's. I was able to find one at a local plumbing supply company yesterday but when I got it home & replaced it, no joy. So, today I got one that is for low flow... SUCCESS!!! At least, going through the entire timer cycle this evening has been successful. I also took the precaution of replacing the zone indicator- probably overkill but I noticed it was really sticky & I could not seem to get it cleaned out enough to make a difference. The new one has no resistance.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Wet Boots! :thumbsup:

Rate this thread