You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

daronson

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 6:46am

Saddles

I will be using blazing saddles on 1” (80 psi) poly pipe, and noticed when installing some of the tee connections where the main line branches off, there were some places where the poly was only 3-4” deep. (I hired an irrigation contractor to pull the poly) If the saddles sits too close to the surface level, is there anything that can be done (i.e. attempt to lower a section of the poly, or install the saddle at an angle) or should a dawn type saddle (with a lower profile) be used here? Also, is Teflon needed when connecting the funny ell to the saddle?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 12:17pm

If the poly is bent up, keep the same saddle and pin it down to the ground with some type of heavy wire (i.e. hanger wire). However, if it is sitting on the ground that high, use the dawn type saddle.

Use Teflon Tape on every male connection. Do not use it on the barbs for the funny pipe, just threaded male connections only.

daronson

Wednesday, March 27th 2002, 3:08am

RVLI, thanks for your help! Regarding teflon tape, I was just advised last night to use it on the all male fittings up to and including the valves, but NOT on the funny ells where they attach to the sprinkler head and saddle. Nothing is ever easy, I guess there could be more than 1 correct answer. Can you elaborate here?

Regarding saddles and poly, the poly is just installed high in places. Just received shipment of blazing saddles last night and the instructions indicate that they can be mounted upright or sideways. I am sure you have a comment about this, b/c I am not so sure myself if this is a good idea.
Thanks!! Dave

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 28th 2002, 1:37pm

I made a mistake on the Teflon Tape. It is right that you shouln't use it on male funny pipe threads. (Sorry for the error!) You can also install the blazing saddles up or sideways, that way if you are using funny pipe, (Which I think you are) You put it sideways so the tee doesn't stick up incase if you wanted to put the head with the funny pipe attached right on top of the tee. With blazing saddles, you can place them on the pipe anyway you want (Up, down(not reccomended) to both sides, and at angles).

Hope this helps!!

Rate this thread