You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JonnyB

Saturday, June 29th 2013, 7:42am

Imperial valves

I have an Imperial Valet timer I need to replace and I also have Imperial valves, however they are plastic ones not brass. Do the plastic Imperial valves also draw more current?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 29th 2013, 10:45am

Probably not, but to be certain, you might post a photo of one of the valves, showing the solenoid.

JonnyB

Saturday, June 29th 2013, 2:22pm

Well, I can't get a picture to copy and paste in this post. Not sure how the other guy above did it. I didn't notice before, but the sticker on the solenoid says 24 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 3.5 Watt. I don't know tons about electricity (enough to get myself in trouble), but is there a way to figure out amps from the watts?

electrifiedmale

Saturday, June 29th 2013, 2:45pm

Well, I can't get a picture to copy and paste in this post. Not sure how the other guy above did it. I didn't notice before, but the sticker on the solenoid says 24 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 3.5 Watt. I don't know tons about electricity (enough to get myself in trouble), but is there a way to figure out amps from the watts?
To calculate the amperage, divide watts by volts
3.5w/24v = .145a

To calculate watts, multiply volts by amps
24 x .145 = 3.5

Hope this helps

JonnyB

Saturday, June 29th 2013, 3:04pm

That does help. Thank you! So, a standard timer should be fine then, right?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 29th 2013, 3:53pm

the brass-valve Imperial solenoids were described as "10 Watts" so figure you aren't worried about controller compatibility

Rate this thread