You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

diyer1

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 10:21am

Sprinkler system not running correctly and clinking noise coming from water heater/pipes

Hello all,

The last couple of times my sprinkler system is set to go off, I've been hearing a rhythmic clinking noise coming from my water heater. You can also hear the clinking through the walls. When I used the sink or shower, the flow was restricted every few seconds, at the same pace of the clinking. It does it the entire time the sprinkler system is set to be on. I went outside this morning to see if the sprinklers were affected and sure enough, they weren't running. I've tried to run them manually a few times, and they will spray fine for a few seconds but then start to spray in the same rhythm as the sound inside the house. The last time i tried running them, there was only air coming out of the heads. I've never really worked with a sprinkler system before so I'm not sure where to start. Any help is much appreciated!

TAGS: SPRINKLER, SYSTEM, WATER, HEATER, CLINKING, NOISE, FLOW

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 1:00pm

Are you on well water, by any chance?

diyer1

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 1:06pm

Are you on well water, by any chance?
I am on city water

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 4:40pm

It just might be that there's a partially closed valve in the water supply. There might be a failed pressure reducing valve. Noises from a water heater might indicate water rushing out of an expansion tank, toward the system connection.

diyer1

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 4:48pm

It just might be that there's a partially closed valve in the water supply. There might be a failed pressure reducing valve. Noises from a water heater might indicate water rushing out of an expansion tank, toward the system connection.
I found a box in my yard with a backflow preventor assembly. Would this be where i need to look? I've looked around for another box but haven't been able to find anything.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 10th 2013, 7:48am

ID the backflow preventer - maybe bring back a photo

When it comes to backflow advice, your location becomes important. Different states, different laws.

Rate this thread