You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MICKJ

Sunday, September 22nd 2002, 9:20am

AUTO DRAIN VALVES

WHICH KIND OF AUTO DRAIN VALVES ARE MORE RELIABLE BETWEEN PLASTIC AND BRASS. WHAT KIND OF LIFE EXPECTANCY CAN BE EXPECTED FROM THEM.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 22nd 2002, 1:41pm

I rarely use auto drain valves, but if I do, I use the plastic RainBird Drain Valves. I have never used brass before, so I could not tell you what brass is like. Hope this helps!

MICKJ

Monday, September 23rd 2002, 8:32am

rvli- you said you rarely use auto drain valves. Is their some problem with them that causes you to avoid them or do you just live where you don't need them?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 24th 2002, 3:59pm

I just don't use them because they are a hassle to install. When I do install them, I put them on the bottom of a line thats on a hill, but I rarely install on hills becasue my area is pretty much flat. Hope this helps!

jimqjp

Thursday, September 26th 2002, 3:24am

Hi, RVLI

I'm working for a system in my yard, which has a 3-feet difference between highest and lowest in a zone. Questions:

1. What is the min height differece for auto drain valves?

2. Can I eliminate winterization if I install valves in all zones?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 12th 2002, 6:23pm

Sorry for the late response-
I do not think there is a minimum height difference for auto drain valves. One other thing I forgot to mention- On systems with master valves, or ran by pump, we install a drain valve on every manifold so they drain out every time. We then intstall a boiler drain before the master valve, but after the main valve, so we can drain that part. Then, we put autos on the end of the laterals and mains, and also where a low spot is where water may collect. This eliminates blow-out of the system, but you still have to do a little winterization:

1. Shut off main line and drain the line between the main valve and master valve

2. Turn controller to "OFF" mode, or unplug it and remove battery-which ever one the users manual says to do.

Rate this thread