You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

inahaz

Monday, March 31st 2003, 9:23am

Well Issue - Low GPM Production

I recently had a well drilled solely to irrigate my lawn. Unfortunately, after drilling 418 feet, the well only produces 2 - 3 GPM. The static level of the water is at 116 feet, so I have approximately 300 feet of water in a 5 inch casing. (To make math easy, I'm estimating this is roughly 200 gallons). I've placed the pump 10 feet from the bottom, so I have the 200 gallons in surplus to use. Probably the best solution would be to bury a large tank to hold a supply of water, but prior to going to that effort, I'm thinking of trying the following. Let me know your thoughts:

Design my zones so that each zone uses approximately 5 GPM (not sure how realistic this is with a 3/4 acre lot - haven't quite looked at it on paper yet). This would only cause a 2-3 GPM draw-down on the well. Therefore, I could water 6 zones at approximately 15 minutes each... Then, wait for 100 minutes for the well to replenish... water 6 more zones, etc.

Later, if I decide to bury a tank, I could combine a few of the zones at the valves and it would speed up the watering process.

Any thoughts? Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, March 31st 2003, 1:36pm

Describe the tank you are talking about? A pressure tank, holding tank? More information if you can, please.

Thanks,
Alex

inahaz

Monday, March 31st 2003, 1:54pm

Currently I have a 36 gallon pressure tank. But, in my message I was suggesting burying a 500 gallon tank as a water storage unit. In doing so, I'd probably have to also invest in another pump to take the water from that tank. I really don't want to go to that effort though. I'd like to just somehow be able to work with what I have.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, April 7th 2003, 3:14pm

Did you talk to your well guy about this problem. I find it hard to believe that with the situation as you describe it that he cant give you more than 2-3gpm. My suggestion is to talk to them first. I mean I bet you spent 5000 dollars to go that deep and at this point it is basically worthless. I think they are the people that should be correcting your problem.

Thanks,

Pete

inahaz

Friday, April 25th 2003, 1:40pm

Thanks for your response drpete3, but I am far past that point. Had several heart-to-heart discussions with the driller. Thus, the original question.

If anyone is interested, Rainbird makes a controller in which you can program it to delay prior to the next zone starting. This allows wells to recover prior to continuing. Works out pretty well for me and solved my problem.

Rate this thread