You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, May 9th 2002, 2:02pm

popup extension heighth

aparently my water pressure is too low because the sprinkler heads which are ''pop up''will not extend above the heighth of the grass without manually pulling them up. Is there a lubricant that can be used?

clayton wilson
clayton wilson

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, May 12th 2003, 11:51am

Nope, no lubracant, If you can tell me the manufracture, and model (usually found rite on top) i can help you with your problem better

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray

MLAO

Thursday, May 22nd 2003, 5:16am

I got the same problem too. My Sprinker system is from a brand "Harris". Mine also do not extract when finished. I have to push them down. Is there anything I could do to help?

Thanks

mlaoz

Edited by - MLAO on May 22 2003 10:21:33 AM
mlaoz

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 22nd 2003, 4:40pm

Iam assuming that is a very old head, "Harris" because i have never heard of them.........I would replace the head with a similar GPM flow and pressure, or you can spray a little WD-40 on the heads I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.....I HAVE NEVER DONETHIS BEFORE SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF EFFECT IT WOULD HAVE ON THE HEAD but you can give it a try.

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 22nd 2003, 4:43pm

As far as for Clay if your heads dontpop up, thats because of low pressure, I have recently went on a service call for a system that was underbulit in the past. You can do many things

1. If you have pop ups in the garden, change them to a riser with the shrub adapter and then the nozzle onto the shrub adapter, so nothing has to pop up, and this will allow more pressure to go to the pop ups.

2. If they are all pops ups in the lawn, check for leaks, lower your nozzle (watch on that bc of coverage) or you can get professional advice from your local irrigation contractor)

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

MLAO

Friday, May 23rd 2003, 4:33am

Hi Ray,

thanks for your help. I went back to check, the heads are actually marked Hardie.
To replace the head, do you mean that I need to dig up the head and replace at the interface with the pipes? Do I have to stick with the same length as well if I do not want to reposition the whole water line?

Thanks

MLAO

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Iam assuming that is a very old head, "Harris" because i have never heard of them.........I would replace the head with a similar GPM flow and pressure, or you can spray a little WD-40 on the heads I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.....I HAVE NEVER DONETHIS BEFORE SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF EFFECT IT WOULD HAVE ON THE HEAD but you can give it a try.

Thanks
Ray
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

mlaoz
mlaoz

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 1:50pm

Hey,
Well there is a couple of things you can do here. If its a Hardie head that company is now Irritrol, and i am assuming since they switched the heads a little, if you want a longer pop up you can dig up the head, and install a higher pop up using funny pipe to retrograde to the higher pop up. If the pop up height clears the turf grass when you pull it up yourself, i would use the same pop up height. My recomendation to you is buy a TORO 570 spray online, (Same pop up that you have (height wise)) and the appropriate nozzle. (15', 12', 10;) etc, and replace the whole head with that. They are the professional heads we use here

Hey, let me know what you think
Hope that helps
Reply soon

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 1:56pm

Funny pipe is like an extension cord of the actual water line, The ekbow screws into the tee where the actual head screws in now, and then another elbow (FUNNY PIPE HAS ITS OWN SPECIAL ELBOWS) on the head, and then you use a piece of this funny pipe to lower the head without digging the actual water line.

Check what size threads you have
The Pop up Sprays have (1/2") Threads so buy a half thread elbow to hook into that
Im not sure what size thread is on the actual tee that the head is on.

If this head was installed using funny pipe, just buy a roll and add some length.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"and i am assuming since they switched the heads a little," i ment, when the company merged with Richdel and and changed to Irritrol, they changed the heads, if they didnt just buy those, unscrew the old internals, and screw in this one

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

RVLI

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 7:02pm

Ray has a good idea but to add about the funny pipe. Instead of getting a whole roll if you need to replace one, just get the precut sticks that I have seen at homestores. I as a contractor atleast always have two rolls of funny pipe with me.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 25th 2003, 10:34am

Hey,
Thats right!! i forgot about the sticks, a 24" Stick of funny pipe is about $2.50 here. The reason i dont use those is that they are a little harder to flex, and the roll is already in a circle, and bends easier.

The funny pipe i buy is in the Hundreds of Feet, but if you want some to keep around (its pretty cheep) there is a 50' roll

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread