You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

chpsk8

Sunday, March 17th 2002, 5:43am

Heads, and distance

I have a space that is 40'x60' that I want to water with Hunter I-20SS heads. My thought was to run thre across the back, one at each corner and one in the center to hit head to head coverage at 30' each. Then I want to run three heads across the front in a similar pattern. The question is... as they face each other (front and back line), they will only be throwing 30 feet, but must go 40. Will i20s throw 40'?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 19th 2002, 11:27am

The design for the back is fine. The front will be ok, too. It is ok that they throw 30 feet, because the area that one side didn't cover, the other side will cover for it. Both side will do that so there is no worry there. Also, the I-20's will throw 40'.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Friday, March 22nd 2002, 10:00am

All of this is assuming you have an adequate water source and not a 1/2 inch copper line right?

Sprinklersolutions.net

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

chpsk8

Friday, March 22nd 2002, 1:17pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
All of this is assuming you have an adequate water source and not a 1/2 inch copper line right?

Sprinklersolutions.net

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Oh yeah, good to go on the water pressure and GPM. I am trying to make the zones with a max of 13 GPM. Right now all zones are sitting at 10.5gpm.
3/4" copper, decided on a 1" backflow, and 1" mainline. PVC isn't my cup of tea so 100psi poly will be the mainline of choice.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 24th 2003, 2:17pm

Hey,
Waittttttt!!!!!!!! Poly is not to be used for the mainline (leading to valves) it will pop under constant pressure, there you need to use copper or PVC, and poly to the sprinklers
\

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray

cdig04

Wednesday, May 28th 2003, 10:39am

If you had a master valve coming out of the house then would it be okay to used poly to the valves?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 28th 2003, 11:58am

Nope. You still consider the valves after your master valve on the mainline, so it still needs to be PVC or Copper. No Exception!

rbielak

Saturday, May 31st 2003, 7:28am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hey,
Waittttttt!!!!!!!! Poly is not to be used for the mainline (leading to valves) it will pop under constant pressure, there you need to use copper or PVC, and poly to the sprinklers
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Are you saying that EVERYTHING before the valves (not the breaker, but the valves) needs to be copper or PVC? I TOTALLY disagree.

My mainline is a 300' piece of 1.25" 100psi poly buried in a horseshoe around my house. There's a 30 foot piece that runs from my vaccumn breaker to feed the mainline. About every 30 feet (on my poly mainline) is a 1.25 slip x 1.25 slip x 1" FPT that connects to a 1" jar-top valve (slips are double clamped on every connection). From the valves, I run 1" 100PSI poly to the heads.

I'm on a well with a 20 gpm 3/4 hp pump, which runs (average) 50 psi -- a 40 psi cut-on and a 60 psi cut-off switch settings.

I have NO manifolds built. Which means I used much less 1" poly (less pressure loss versus the 1.25" main to valves, less $$ wasted in 1" poly).

95% of the residential systems installed around here (MI) are designed and built this way -- IF the builder is any good.

Why, again, should I run copper or PVC instead of 100PSI 1.25" poly (330 feet worth)? There's no need.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 3rd 2003, 7:54am

True but around here we have about 85-105 PSI and eventually the lines can pop, or give out.........if there is a master valve than its okay, but i wouldnt use poly for the mainline..........just my way of doing things.....Poly isnt designed for constant water pressure

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 3rd 2003, 7:56am

We also put our valves in a grouped manifold either in the front or back, so there is not much of a length (no more than 20')and the lines run out of there!

Thanks
Ray
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread