You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Buczar

Unregistered

Thursday, April 24th 2014, 1:27pm

Pump Relay Set-up for a cistern

Trying to figure out if I should use something like I've seen available here (the Munro Brain Box) or if I should try to build my own pump relay and back-up supply for my rainwater harvesting system.

Has anyone ever used that before and have an opinion here there or otherwise?

Thanks,
Jim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 24th 2014, 4:19pm

It kind of depends on the size of the cistern. Most rainwater harvesting falls far short of the thousands of gallons of storage it takes to be worth the expense of pro-grade pumping and controls.

Buczar

Unregistered

Friday, April 25th 2014, 2:33pm

Ah yes, details probably help. Forgive the rookie and let me know if need more.

I probably mis-described as "rainwater" harvesting. The cistern draws from my gutters for sure, but the main supply is better described as the "well under my basement" - the naturally high water table that keeps my sump-pump capable of running pretty-much all year (i have a "high" and a "low" pump, I usually turn the "low" pump off after spring or it really would run all summer and try to pump out the lake under my home).

Anyway, enough I think to charge the cistern so that it can keep-up with the effort.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 27th 2014, 8:50am

still not enough information, although the sump pump makes a dig difference

you need to calculate the amount of water that will be used during a cycle of watering - that gives you a cistern size

how many acres of lawn and beds are going to be watered by the cistern - one acre covered by water an inch deep is approximately 27,000 gallons

Rate this thread