You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tenchains

Wednesday, July 9th 2014, 5:05pm

Water in the valve box

On top of my issue if having a failing controller a new issue has presented itself today. I noticed water in front of the valve box. I opened it to find it flooded and the valves underwater. I shut down the water and unplugged the controller. I thought maybe this could be a controller issue, but I don't know if could be. Can somebody please throw me some 411?! The solenoids are all new. They were replace a couple of months ago. The system was working, and the box has not been flooded until just recently. When I shut the water off the water in the box went away.... My Richdel controller is shot, but I don't see how it could cause the valve box to flood.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 9th 2014, 7:24pm

Your richdel valves are the "jar top" type correct? As in, to disassemble, you need to unscrew the top. With no pressure in the mainline, try tightening the cap. I don't recall if you had disassembled the valves before. But, it is important that all parts are as clean as possible before reassembly.

When you changed selonoids, was there an o-ring in the solenoid? The new selonoids have one preinstalled, just making sure you didn't remove it when you removed the white plastic keeper.

Only other option is a leak in the fittings, or runoff from sprinkling.

tenchains

Wednesday, July 9th 2014, 9:06pm

Yea they are jar top. I disassembled one to clean out the diaphragm which was fouled. It worked. I installed the solenoids over a month ago same time as the diaphragm cleaning. I can double check the solenoid o rings, and the tightness of the jar cap. I just don't know why it would have begun now after it was running fine for over a month. I have no heads near the box and the water went down minutes after closing the main.. TY

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 19th 2014, 6:46am

Usually, depending on the size of leak, you can see water boiling if the box has some water in it. You have to watch closely for it, but the small boils of water can help pinpoint where the actual leak is coming from.