You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sticks_gms

Monday, July 21st 2003, 7:59am

Pipe Size, Type of Pipe, Head Locations??

I am installing a new sprinkler system in my yard I have a 1.25 acre yard with a well. I've upgraded my well to a 1.5 HP pump at 20 GPM at 40 PSI. with 1.25" pipe into the house. I had a rainbird design my system. First of many questions is Raibird spec 1.25" pipe to all of the heads which are (R50 rotor heads w/1.5 - 3.0 GPM nozzles) which means they want me to run 1.25" to each of the heads kind of a costly measure but I believe they are after flow?? am I correct to assume this? then what type of tees do I use the standard 1.25(Slip)x1.25(Slip)x3/4" FTP ? or use the blazing saddle 1.25x3/4" FTP?? Pros/Cons ?? and PVC vs. Poly? and lastly the way rainbird designed it instead of straight lines leading from the house straight back to the property line they did branches?? pros and cons to that?? can anyone please help!! also keep in mind I live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota!!

rjhuss

Monday, July 21st 2003, 10:13am

I can't comment on the size of the pipe, but I can comment on Blazing Saddles. I am currently in the process of installing my own system and I am using Blazing Saddles were ever I can.

These thing's are so cool....... They are definatly worth the cost.

I highly recommend you use them if you can.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, July 21st 2003, 5:59pm

Poly pipe is bet in frozen regions. I also would suggest Harmony drains to help with winterizing. Do you have real long runs of pipe? Honestly I thinks most people would use 1 in pipe in this application. How many zones are you going to have and how many heards per zone. I have used blazing saddles and they work great. I wote a review this spring re: blazing saddles vs standard. My only concern is is if there would be a lot of pipe between the t and the head.

Thanks,

Pete
Thanks,

Pete

Sticks_gms

Tuesday, July 22nd 2003, 7:07am

Thank you for the suggestion!! the only reason I am thinking of 1 1/4" is because that is what rain bird called out!! the distance from the tees and the heads will be less then 12" the most heads I have on one line is 6-7 (avg 15-16 GPM), and I will be doing 12 zones with 4 zones of bubblers. the longest runs are in the backyard approx. 200' with 33' of spacing between heads. I realize that my system needs to be blown out every year, are drains really needed? I know of a lot of people who do not have them?? pros/cons? they told me that some of those drain have a tendancey to fail??? as far as the saddles, is finding 1 1/4" size I looked on the manufactor's web site and they do make them I am waiting to hear from sprinkler warehouse if they can provide them!! Thank you again!! Kevin
Poly pipe is bet in frozen regions. I also would suggest Harmony drains to help with winterizing. Do you have real long runs of pipe? Honestly I thinks most people would use 1 in pipe in this application. How many zones are you going to have and how many heards per zone. I have used blazing saddles and they work great. I wote a review this spring re: blazing saddles vs standard. My only concern is is if there would be a lot of pipe between the t and the head.

Thanks,

Pete
[/quote]

Sticks_gms

Tuesday, July 22nd 2003, 7:08am

These seem to be the popular item, as far as time saver!! Thank you for the comment!! still trying to find the size I need!! Have a Great One!! Kevin
I can't comment on the size of the pipe, but I can comment on Blazing Saddles. I am currently in the process of installing my own system and I am using Blazing Saddles were ever I can.

These thing's are so cool....... They are definatly worth the cost.

I highly recommend you use them if you can.

[/quote]

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 22nd 2003, 8:11am

Hey,
As far as the design of the sprinkler system, as far as pipe, i would suggest telescoping your pipe. meaning on the really long runs, meaning t the valve start with 1 1/4 inch pipe and after the first 100 feet of pipe, reduce down to 1" the only reason i say this is because of the low 40 PSI pressure, i dont want t to drop out on you! I really dont recommend the R-50 heads, at all..........!!! If you must use Rainbird use the Tbird or the 5000 series. The R-50 does not preform that well, and to make future nozzle changes, adjustments wtc. it must be dug up, where the Tbird/ 5000 does not. The Tbird and the R-50 share the same nozzle sets. so i would go with them otherwise i would use the Hunter PGP (leading rotor) in place of the R-50. using a 5 or 6 nozzle. We live in freezing climates and i do not install drains, they are just another thing that may fail and arent necessary, but you do have to winterize and blow out the lines. Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Sticks_gms

Wednesday, July 23rd 2003, 10:20am

Hello I have included a copy of the drawing from RB I think that it would make more since to do straight lines out to the end of the property line then it would as it is drawn?? don't you or is there a reason for the way they did it??

what I think should be done in the back yard what do you think!!
same GPM per line and spacing of 33' X= valve O= sprinkler head
----- ,(I)= 1 1/4" branch line from the 1" valves from the 1 1/4" Main???

x-----O-----O-----O-----O-----O-----O

as compared to:

X-----------------------O-----O-----O
````````````````````````I`````I`````I
X-----O-----O-----O`````O`````O`````O
``````I
``````O-----O-----O`````O`````O`````O
````````````````````````I`````I`````I
X-----------------------O-----O-----O

Edited by - sticks_gms on Jul 23 2003 3:22:45 PM

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 23rd 2003, 10:49am

Your drawing needs help

Thanks,

Pete
Thanks,

Pete

Sticks_gms

Wednesday, July 23rd 2003, 11:37am

I tried to send an attachment but wouldn't work?? so tried to draw it out, but this area compressed everything so had to put in spaces to try to keep it in a visual perspective!! but that really didn't work well but, from what I have to work with???
Two outside branches went the distance of the yard and "Y" in and the middle branch "Y" out hope that this helps with the bottom drawing??
Thank You
Kevin

Your drawing needs help

Thanks,

Pete
[/quote]

Edited by - sticks_gms on Jul 23 2003 4:39:57 PM

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 8:07am

It appears that rb suggests 18 heads and you have 24? Overall it appears that there is nothing wrong with your design I am just wondering if they a re try ing to compress your system into three zones.

Thanks,

Pete
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread