You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ALM

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 15th 2014, 9:31pm

Not enough pressure

I recently installed a 3 zone sprinkler system in my backyard. Each zone only has 4 heads that spray up to 15ft each, however I am not getting enough pressure for the heads to reach further than 4-5 ft. When I initially had a quote for a system to be installed professionally, the person did test the water source in the backyard and said from the beginning they had concerns about the low amount of pressure. Finding out now they were right.

So I am now to the point of installing a pump. I purchased a Flowtec 1HP centrifugal pump but hoping for some help with the installation. Through some research I now also know I need a pump start relay which I'll be buying tomorrow. I know the pump connects to the pump start delay which connects to the irrigation control unit. I assume the same wiring used to connect the controller to the valves can be used to connect the controller to the pump start delay. However, I am not sure on the wiring to connect the pump start delay to the pump. Sorry, not a electric genius by any means so help is needed on this!

Lastly, I noticed in the pump instructions it specifically states "do no connect the pump directly to pressurized supply (city water or other pump's output)." The water supply in my backyard comes from city water as I live in a residential neighborhood. Does this mean I purchased the wrong pump?

Please help! Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 16th 2014, 7:15am

Not enough information

Return the pump. Don't buy another one. Buy a pressure gauge, and do an evaluation of the water supply.

If you have a pressure reducing valve in the house plumbing, it may account for low pressure, and you would have to figure on more plumbing to get a more direct connection for the sprinklers.

What are you using for backflow protection?

ALM

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 16th 2014, 7:38am

Not enough pressure

We haven't installed the back flow preventer yet but have left space for the installation.

I am not aware of any pressure reducer in the house but can certainly check (do you know where this would be?). The rest of the house has plenty of pressure.

Regarding the pump, is there a reason one isn't needed?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 16th 2014, 3:19pm

Figure out what it takes to run a one-inch pipe from your water meter to the sprinkler system. That's where your money should be spent. Not on pumps, which can never take the place of a wide-open supply line.