You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dkingsr

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 4:38am

Hose Bibs vs Water Main

I haven't seen anything mentioned about this yet. I'm planning on putting in a sprinkler system and am unable to connect directly to the water supply main in my home. The only place available are 2 hose bibs, one on either side of the house. I'm planning on using both as separate systems but not sure how to hook up the water supply. I'd like to use one timer to run a valve on each side of the house. THe 2 systems would take care of 1/2 of the property. I've seen small systems that use a short hose connections. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

dave
dave

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 8:01am

I would make every attempt to connect to your main line due to flow. I am sure you are going to have reduced flow if you connect to your hose bib. Honestly it is normally very easy to connect to your main.

Thanks,

Pete
Thanks,

Pete

dkingsr

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 2:01pm

I wish I could. The main comes in from the street underground. Under the house slab and into a Laundry Room in the middle of the house. I looked at the service after the meter and there isn't room to sweat in copper. I haven't looked in the attic to see if there's pipes there. I do know most of the PVC in the house is 1/2" but not sure what's upstairs. I'll have to look there when I can.
Will advise further results.
dave

dave
dave

Brett Bitner

Starting Member

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 3:23pm

I concur with drpete. The main may be 4ft in the ground but there must be a place before the line enters the house that you can dig down to and tap. A 1/2" line is most likely too restrictive and will short you on flow. Remember, a 1/2" line is only "half" the size of a 1" line but it carries 25% as much water NOT half. Hose bibb connection should be an absolute LAST resort. In addition, you would need two backflow devices. That additional cost would far outweigh even having it professionally dug.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 4:28pm

Is there any way you could get a well dug specifically for your sprinkler system?

What about a wet tap into the city main. They will add another meter to your yard just to use for the irrigation. Wet taps around here cose about 350.00 without digging expenses.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 4:43pm

I definatly want you to try and make an effort to tap to your main,,,,and if you absolutely no quetiones asked, i would find the pipe that goes out to your hose bibb, and chenge it to 3/4 or 1" and tap off of one, and bring the pipe around....i would have a pro tap into your main,,,,,,im sure an irrigation company would do it for you...we charge 400.00 to dig up and tap into the main because its 4-6 feet in the ground here!

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray

dkingsr

Friday, July 25th 2003, 12:15pm

Thanks to all. I really appreciate all your information. My wife and I think what we're going to do is to hire a contractor. We live in an over 50 community and several homes here have had a contractor put their systems in. THis seems the best way. I was looking into my attic this morning and can find some 1' pipes there but looking at other installatins here we feel the best way is contractor.

Once again I really appreciate all your help.

thanks again

dave
dave

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 26th 2003, 3:58am

Well Dave I like to do things myself but some times it is better to spend a little more and have a professional do it. Like the old saying you get wahat you pay for.

Thanks,

Pete
Thanks,

Pete

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 27th 2003, 12:43pm

hey yeah.....in your case i definatly think thats the case...Good Luck

Thanks
Ray
Thanks