You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

RealOldGuy

Starting Member

Tuesday, October 3rd 2023, 4:06pm

Toro 280-05-14 jar lid valve - how to reasssemble

I've got this old model 280 which has the diaphragm, spring and a metal spindle which has to fit thru the lid and into the hole in the middle of the diaphragm. How do I do this? Thanks :P

mrfixit

Tuesday, October 3rd 2023, 6:03pm

I can't seem to find a valve by searching the model number that you've given.
Can you post a picture of it?
Go to ImgBB click on "start uploading". Leave it on "don't autodelete", click "upload", then under embedded codes, copy and paste to your post "BBCode full link". The pic will appear in your post.

Thursday, October 5th 2023, 3:34pm

I've got this old model 280 which has the diaphragm,
spring and a metal spindle which has to fit thru the lid and into the
hole in the middle of the diaphragm. How do I do this? Thanks ;)

Got locked out of my first account.

This is a photo of the parts.

mrfixit

Thursday, October 5th 2023, 8:32pm

Here's the best that I can do. Good luck!

Wednesday, October 11th 2023, 10:17am

That helps a lot; I can see the plunger does go above the cap. What I
can't figure out is how to center the plunger thru the cap so that the
tube fits into the diaphragm hole. Or do I need to do that for it to
function? Does the solenoid push the tube down regardless? Thanks!

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 11th 2023, 3:10pm

Ok, notice how at the bottom of that diagram it says 1994. These valves were obsolete a long time ago. In my entire career servicing 5 cities, I only saw the flo-pro 2 times in 29 years. I've never had to take one apart. Nor do I have one laying around. There's aren't even how to videos that I could find. Is there another valve somewhere on the property that you can carefully take apart to see how it goes? Or just unscrew the solenoid to see how the white piece is seated? Meaning how far down do you have to push it?
Does that tube thing and the white part attached to it come apart? Like put the tube into the diaphragm hole before putting the bonnet on then insert the white thing attaching it to the tube? Or is that a bad idea? But I think it needs to go into that hole in the diaphragm. I would try it from the top first. Push it down snug.
Good luck!