You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jeyer

Sunday, September 7th 2003, 11:56am

connecting to a canal feed

I have an older home in the country. 2.5 acres. The house is feed by city water, but very expensive to water with. I also have a 10" orchard valve system (with a unused 4" pipe teed off) for watering the back acreage, feed of a canal, gravity, and works great. I would like to install a pump system to tap the 4" line. Then use canal water to sprinkler the house and lawn. The lot is 166' x 1204' I not concerned with water being drinkable, but obviously must be filtered to be used in a drip system. I have put together a few house systems already. But off city water. I know i need a pump- storage device.. etc. Any words of wisdom ? Any plans or kits out there for this install. Thanks.. JIM
jim

RVLI

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 7th 2003, 1:36pm

How far is the canal from the place where you want to start watering the yard? You might just want to get a pump and take the water directly from the canal instead of the 4" pipe. Let me know what you think.

jeyer

Sunday, September 7th 2003, 2:57pm

The canal is a 1/4 mile away. I have a 12" buried pipe. I laid the pipe 10 years ago, runs burried along the paved road in front of mine and other houses. I have then 10" risers with orchard valves running down the long edge of the property. On the edge of the lot the 166' front, is where the pipe is. and the 4" tee is there. I figure to just extend the 4" pipe to a pump station. Then feed the sprinkers system from there. The 4" is about 75' from the house.
jim

RVLI

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 7th 2003, 3:32pm

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You have a 12" gravity fed pipe underground that you use to water an orchard. You have a 4" tee that you want to go off of. Is this right?

If I am, then yeah I would go for connecting to that 4" tee. You have to decide how big your mainline will be and the max GPM and PSI so you can decide how big of a pump you may need. Get back to me about what you figure out.

jeyer

Sunday, September 7th 2003, 3:42pm

My goal is to sprinler system for the house area only.. about 1 acre.. of various areas .. veg garden, rose garden, lawn ~~ 1/4 acre and bordering trees. and various small planters.. any ideas on the GPM and PSI ..Over kill is ok.. then ready fo growth if need be. Any brand of pumps or kits better than others.. thanks

jim

Rate this thread