You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Friday, October 3rd 2003, 7:09am

starting a business

I'm going to be opening my own sprinkler business next summer. I just wanted to know of some good ways of organizing everything. I know there are a lot of different ways to organize the parts and everything in a trailer or in a truck. What's the most effective way to organize everything that you have seen?
Bhungue2

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, October 3rd 2003, 12:29pm

Enclosed Trailer with shelving.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Friday, October 3rd 2003, 1:18pm

We use 3/4 ton Ford vans outfitted w/ shelving from American Van or Weatherguard...billboard on wheels.

If I were solo and didn't have a wife and family....meaning my work truck was my only vehicle....then an enclosed trailer with a rack would work great...but I don't want my 5 techs driving trucks and pulling trailers...
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Monday, October 6th 2003, 7:56am

If I want to hire a couple of guys to help me, will it be worth it? I want to do this legally. I know of several people around here that pay under the table. So if I do it legally, I know there is workmans comp and taxes. Is this pretty expensive or is it better to go solo?

Any other important information that I should know before starting my business?
Bhungue2

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, October 6th 2003, 8:53am

If I were doing it over again...and I guess I kinda am....with a new branch anyway...I would go solo at first.

If you ever needed help digging, maybe hire a part timer but...the added expense of labor isn't worth it if you aren't sure you will have work for them!

Depending on the region of the country you are in...I would think that a solo op could easily gross 7k per month during busy season just in repair work.

Arizona and Colorado

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Monday, October 6th 2003, 10:02am

So 7k in repairs plus more because of new systems, or are you talking 7k total a month.
Solo is the way to go, huh?
Bhungue2

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, October 6th 2003, 11:53am

I think a guy could bill 6 hours per day in labor x 20 days per month would be 120 hours of labor...going rate in scottsdale is 60 per hour....

you'd have to have a pretty big customer base to do that.

I have 4 techs doing about that each day.....6 months out of the year...the other 6 months varies from 2 - 4 techs.....

Arizona and Colorado

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 9:17am

What kind of advertising seems to be the best?
Bhungue2

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 9:18am

Word of mouth
Arizona and Colorado

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 10:04am

definatly all accurate information...i have a side guy that works with me when needed........not all the time.....word of mouth is definatly the best advirtisement.
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Rate this thread