You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Paffkin

Friday, October 10th 2003, 2:07am

POP UP system in winter (below 0 degrees Celcius)

In my country, Estonia (Northen Europe) in winter the degrees drop far below 0 degrees Celcius. Of course there are no need for watering at that time, but i wonder how the system survives the winter. Even if I pump all the water out of the system there are still change that some water will remain. Does it break my system or is the plastic pipes and connections so elastic that ice doesn't break them? And do I have to remove sprinklers?

I know the problem is silly, but maybe someone just know or has experience.

Thanks for answering.

Paffkin

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Friday, October 10th 2003, 7:27am

If you blow the water out of your system, most of the water should be out. Even if water does remain after blowing it out, it wouldn't be enough to expand and break anything. Now if you don't blow out your system you would be fixing a lot of broken pipes in the spring. Make sure to blow it out using at least a 90 cfm aircompressor.
Bhungue2

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, October 10th 2003, 1:37pm

If there is any water left in the pipes, there is room for it to expand so it won't crack the pipes, on the otherside, if the pipe is still full of water it has no where to go when it freezes so it expands out, hence cracking the pipe.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Friday, October 10th 2003, 2:45pm

[:)]
Bhungue2

Paffkin

Sunday, October 12th 2003, 11:05pm

Thanks for the answers, but how does the sprinkler (rubber parts) survives the winter.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 14th 2003, 7:45am

Fine. I live near the canada border in the usa and I get 40 degrees below zero farenheit in the winter and nothing breaks. I do blow out my system as that is manditory.
Thanks,

Pete

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 7:35am

As long as you blow out your system your sprinklers will survive just fine. It's the expanding water that does the damage.
Bhungue2

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 7:37am

I mean expanding ice, water doesn't necessarily expand.
Bhungue2

Joseph L. Swinehart

Wednesday, October 29th 2003, 1:42pm

Besure to blowout your entire system and to winterize your backflow by removing it's insides and to turn all peacocks at a 45 deree angle to allow any water to escape or you will be buying a new backflow (lived in Colorado Springs, CO)

Joe S.

Rate this thread