You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rain man

Monday, January 19th 2004, 3:37pm

Assuming your point of connection (POC) is the same elevation and static pressure as your bib, 40 psi, you will lose 11psi through your rpz and be down to 29 psi. If you keep your flows low and pipe big, 1" poly will lose 1.1 psi/100 ft. @ 6gpm or 1.4 psi/100 ft. @ 7 gpm...your pressure loss should be minimal (another 2-3psi)...but you will just be squeaking by. Rotors run better above 30psi. FYI, I suspect you have more than 7 gpm available, check your water meter size it's probably 5/8" which gives you a design capacity of 10 gpm @ 40psi...but I wouldn't use all that...more water through same pipes=pressure loss...and your cutting it close as is.

-rain man

paterjb

Tuesday, January 20th 2004, 2:05am

RVLI:I have to use an RPZ as per city code. A PVB would be good as the other neighbors who didn't get a permit use, but I'm going to go by the book.

RAINMAN: My feed to the house is 1" copper, through a 3/4" meter, back to a 1" copper line to the POC (~ 15-18') Hopefully you are correct and my flow is better that 6-7 GPM. POC is the same elevation as the hose bib was.
Thanks
paterjb

rain man

Tuesday, January 20th 2004, 3:23pm

With a 3/4" meter and 40psi static pressure your design capacity is 15 gpm. You sure no other faucets were running when you did the bucket test? 1" pipe is good for dynamic pressure conservation. good luck

-rainman

paterjb

Wednesday, January 21st 2004, 4:08am

I was pretty sure about other faucets being off when I did the bucket test 3 months ago. It is a outside hose bib connected through 1/2" copper pipe. I'm hooking into the 1" main this weekend with a drain between the shut off and capped off POC. I'll do the bucket test again off the 1" line/faucet. Thanks

rain man

Wednesday, January 21st 2004, 3:59pm

let us know what you get!

Tom

Supreme Member

Friday, January 23rd 2004, 5:14am

bucket test are NOT accurate.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, January 23rd 2004, 12:28pm

Like most places you have to support your answer. Support why you don't think bucket tests are inacurate.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 24th 2004, 4:44am

Worked for me.
Thanks,

Pete

Tom

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 24th 2004, 9:24am

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/sprinkler03.htm

RVLI

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 24th 2004, 12:51pm

You base yourself on this irrigation tutorial. Have you ever gone to a design class at your supplier? Last time I went to mine, they said it works fine to bucket test. Jess is a high-end commercial installer and you can see it from the way he does his designs. We're talking residential here.

Rate this thread