You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

paterjb

Monday, February 16th 2004, 9:14am

I am in frozen Northern Illinois, but I plan on blowing out the system in the late fall anyway. Maybe I should skip the auto-drain valves and the master valve!!!

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Monday, February 16th 2004, 4:07pm

Rhode Island freezes up also. No one uses drain valves here. Definately consider using the Flow Click- It could save you money and damage to your property.

paterjb

Tuesday, February 17th 2004, 7:11am

I think I'll go with the Weathermatic 1.5" 21000 commercial series valve as my master control valve, 0 psi loss up to 15 GPM along with the Flow-clik placed after the master control valve. I'll still use drain valves in case of an unexpected freeze and I haven't blown out the system yet. Sound any good? Where can I buy the Flow-clik? Thanks

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 18th 2004, 12:57am

Flow Click is a Hunter product. I'm sur Sprinkler Warehouse carries or can order for you

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 18th 2004, 2:49am

If the reason you are going to use end of line drains is in case of accidental freezing then you must also install a mian line drain. I am not saying this is bad but I just wanted to point that out and it would be installed between the main valve and your manifold. This is how mine is.
Now the next thing I want to point out is that think about what it would take to break a pipe on your system. If all pipes are buried 6-10 inches deep then the ground would have to freeze that deep provided that none of your system is above ground ie backflow preventer? I dont know what it would take to freeze the ground that deep but I would bet it takes more than 10 hrs of 20 degree weather for example. Just somthing to think about
Thanks,

Pete

paterjb

Wednesday, February 18th 2004, 4:05am

Thanks for the advice. I'll add a mainline drain. Any thoughts on the Weathermatic master control valve and the Flow-clik?

Thanks

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 18th 2004, 10:01am

Sorry no experience with those.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread