You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

waterpilot

Thursday, March 11th 2004, 4:22am

using two water sources

I am currently in the late planning stages of my sprinkler system. I have a small spring fed pond that I would like to use as my primary water source with the city water as a back-up. The pond is within 70 feet of an electrical source, so hooking up a pump should not be a problem. My city water main is on the other side of the house and I am unsure how to connect the systems so that I can switch back and forth between water sources. Any ideas? Am I looking for problems using pond water for my lawn - simple screen filtered? What size pump do you recommend to pull water from the pond and disperse in the system (prefer to have non-submersible)?

nestors

Advanced Member

Friday, March 12th 2004, 11:49am

Don't do it , you might save some water money but you will have many problems from filtering to unclogging your valves ,freezing in winter ,priming when water gets low etc. , just hook up to main water install a rain sensor so you don't water when raining and use a electronic timer so you can jump from zone 1 to zone 4 etc.

Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Atlanta , Ga. 770-410-9356

www.georgialighting.net
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

waterpilot

Monday, March 15th 2004, 8:25am

thanks - I guess I was trying to save a buck or two, but if you think the headache is inevitable, I'll go with the main hook-up.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Monday, March 15th 2004, 2:21pm

I know if few customers that have tried a dual water source and it never works properly. Design is configured to a specific volume and pressure from yoru water source. There is no way you will ever get 2 types of sources to perform the exactly the same.

waterpilot

Wednesday, March 17th 2004, 7:01am

Several "outsiders" have tried to talk me into watering my lawn more efficiently. But, I guess the aggrivation isn't worth the money saved. Are most systems now installed with auto-feeding units? I'm considering it - any concerns I should have (clogs, dispertion, etc.)?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 17th 2004, 1:34pm

Auto Feeding meaning fertigation?

I love the Fertigator, really nice product, and will not clog.

waterpilot

Friday, March 19th 2004, 6:43am

I had my local Rainbird supplier out to help me plan out the system. Paying a little extra for his expertise wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that he left me with a $900 to $1100 estimate - his actual estimate came in at over $1800. I think this is excessive. Who has honest to goodness prices out there?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, March 19th 2004, 2:32pm

Did he come look at the property or was it over the phone?

A big no no for professionals is to give estimates over the phone. Homeowners should stay away from those kinds of contractors.

waterpilot

Saturday, March 20th 2004, 1:57am

He did come to the property. He even flagged out where the sprinkler heads would be. He seemed confident in his price before he left. That's the reason I'm a little shocked over his estimate. $700 more and I can have the system installed from another company that came out and gave me an estimate. I have been on-line to search some suppliers. I am finding some cheaper prices out there.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Saturday, March 20th 2004, 9:35am

He might be 700 more but have you matched his products against the other bids. Be sure to compare apples to apples. There could be a good reason why he is higher. Also compare the labor and parts warranty. There are alot of contarctors that do not offer the full manufacturers waranty.

Rate this thread