You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, March 28th 2004, 3:13pm

Naive question about backflow

****o,
not very handy fellow here. Sprinkler line broke last year, had new system put in with backflow. Last fall, I just shut off water and then drained system by running the cycles.

Today, I tried to turn system on, but can't do much 'cause after some air bursts, I get water running out of both outlets of the (vacuum-type) backflow preventer. [xx(] I know anything at all can be going on here, but wanted your thoughts as to what you would try first, or what you think is happening. (Am trying to track down my installer too, but Sundays in Salt Lake City aren't exactly working times for some reason...)

Thanks!

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 28th 2004, 5:38pm

are your test valves open? You need to close these. Usually they are opened up for winter shutdowns

Monday, March 29th 2004, 11:28am

Yahoo! You mean I'm just unaware that these were open...I thought this was some pressue problem and so the backflow preventer doing its thing! I now have my sprinkler pressure running....and now another question too of course.

In the back of the yard, I still have old galvanized and old valves, to be updated "soon". I'm seeing a bunch of leakage in one of the older valves, clearly the from valve housing and not the pipe. I will read around on these postings, but am wondering what is usually replaced...just the whole valve, is that right?

Sincerely appreciate your help!!!

Rate this thread