You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JCWood

Wednesday, April 7th 2004, 5:42pm

Flow Rate

I am in the process of double checking my design before making the order. I would like to confirm the following:

My house does not have a water meter. The line from the city is 1" poly (the black pipe). The sprinkler line is also 1" poly and tees off from the main line once this line enters the basement. Using a pressure gauge on the water hose bib, I measured a static pressure of 60 psi. According to all of the design tables that I have found, the maximum flow for my 1" poly sprinkler line should be 23 gpm. The design books that I've read have suggested designing the system to 80% of the maximum flow so as to allow for future expansion and water use in the house. 80% of 23 gpm is 18 gpm, which I have used for my design.

Does anyone see a problem with my design flow rate? For what it is worth, I will be using 1 1/4" CL200 poly pipe for the laterals and 1 1 1/4" Sch40 PVC from the main line to the control valves.

Thanks!

rain man

Thursday, April 8th 2004, 4:03pm

Your flow rate is fine. At 18gpm you will have a water velocity of 6.7 ft/s, you want to keep this under 7.5 ft/s to avoid damage to system. How do you not have a water meter from the city?

rain man

Rate this thread