You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

snmhanson

Wednesday, June 30th 2004, 2:15pm

Leaky Swing Joints

I just finished making all of the connections in a pretty large sprinkler project (55 rotors and ~2,300 feet of pipe) at my house. Everything seems to be working pretty much how I had planned EXCEPT there is one little annoyance that is driving me crazy. I am getting VERY consistant leaking at almost all of my swing joints. These leaks are mostly a constant drip about every second and do not materially impact the sprinkler performance. The leaks mainly happen at the threads where the ell is connected to the reducer tee and where two ells are connected together at the top of the swing joint assembly just before the sprinkler head. The funny pipe connections are generally not leaking. I did not use any thread tape per my dealers recommendations and I have experimented with different amounts of tightness of the connections but nothing has helped. The water pressure should be between 50 to 60 psi at the sprinkler heads so it shouldn't be that either. Right now I would say about 80-90 percent of the joints are leaking. Is there anything I can do to get rid of these leaks? Is it at all acceptable to have small leaks such as these in a sprinkler system? Should I apply a small amount of pipe tape to the threads in the swing joints? I am going crazy here trying to fix this! I am really anxious to get this finished up so hopefully someone will have some good ideas for me. Thanks in advance!

Matt

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 1st 2004, 8:23am

If it's a slow leak, I wouldn't worry about it as the ground will absorb most of it rather quickly. I have never used swing joints except for funny pipe. Someone else here could be able to help you.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 1st 2004, 8:35am

I would bury it and leave it.
Thanks,

Pete

snmhanson

Thursday, July 1st 2004, 8:36pm

Great, thanks for the input. I will do just that (bury it and leave it). I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that needed to be corrected before finishing the system or not. Thanks again!

Matt

Rate this thread