You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mark

Starting Member

Thursday, June 24th 2004, 9:37am

Long mainline

I am planning an irrigation system on a site where a large section is greater than 250 feet from the point of connection (PVB at building). I am planning on extending a 2 inch dia. mainline to this area (250 feet) then placing several valves at that point for laterals.

I am worried about the risk of damage to this line due to its length and size. To minimize damage if there is a break I am placing a master valve near the point of connection.

Some questions:

1. Is this a good approach? If not what are options?

2. If I use a master valve can I consider everything beyond as a lateral and use poly instead of SCH 40 PVC? From other posts on forum PVC was recommended for lines 2 inches and above but I live in a freezing climate (Minnesota) and am concerned about breakage due to frost.

Any help would be welcome.
Mark

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 24th 2004, 2:50pm

Use 2" mainline in PVC, laterals in Poly. Just make sure you blow your lines out before winter.....

radical

Monday, July 26th 2004, 3:28pm

Your approach is good and a master valve at the POC is recommended. I agree with RVLI with the PVC mainline and Poly laterals.
Richard Kersten

S&R Sprinkler Systems and Landscaping, Inc.
Destin, Florida

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Monday, July 26th 2004, 5:24pm

What is your water volume? 2" could be overkill!

Rate this thread