You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tomfireburns

Thursday, August 12th 2004, 10:58am

spray vs rotor

I have used spray heads in the past and have been happy overall. I am doing an upgrade on a new property and would like to have a better understanding of why I would use spray versus rotor?

Thanks
Tom

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Friday, August 13th 2004, 3:35am

spray= small areas, rotors= large areas

billingsleyj

Friday, August 20th 2004, 10:43am

Yes, what he said!

tomfireburns

Monday, August 30th 2004, 12:01pm

would you say 35 x 40 is big or small?

Thanks
Tom

samjaynes

Monday, August 30th 2004, 1:37pm

I am interested as well as the feedback to this post. I have a similiar shaped area with the same dilemma,

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 31st 2004, 5:01am

I would have to say that a 35 x 40 area is small. But, that being said, in some situations Rotors will work better for you.

Is this area sloped? Shady? Sandy soil? Oblong? Square?

What is your water pressure?
What is your water volume?
How many zones available on the timer?

More info the better....
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

samjaynes

Tuesday, August 31st 2004, 10:20am

I don't mean to piggy-back on to your post, tomfireburns. However, I would like to post a reply to SprinklerGuy. In my area, which is about 40x40, with semi-clay soil, this area is pretty flat with a kidney bean shape island close to the middle, yet ofset a little to the side. The shape as mentioned is square.

The initial estimate I received was with spray heads every 12 feet and three in the middle. Although I can see some benefit from this, I can't see why I can't use rotors for this area. The only obstruction that I can possible see is two boulders about 2 feet high in the middle of the island. Don't rotors typical spray higher that this? Are they trying to sell more parts than needed?

Thank you for letting me add to your thread. I am interested in any comments.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 31st 2004, 12:17pm

It will cost close to the same......if you used 6 rotors versus 12-15 sprays....

rotors cost about 12 bucks...sprays about 3 bucks....piping would be the same.....

I prefer the sprays...but with clay soil...might be better to use rotors and put water down at a slightly slower rate....

6 on one 1/2 dozen on the other probably..
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

bgeddes

Tuesday, September 7th 2004, 12:56pm

More sprays would presumably mean more zones (valves) due to GPM issues.

Rate this thread