You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gettingsoaked

Thursday, October 14th 2004, 6:24pm

Clock Pbs Related to Install Location?

Boy I wish I had access to a page like this when I first installed my system! Thanks to all for your time in helping us less experienced folks. I previously installed a Toro exterior 8 zone timer, and I constantly had to reset the clock. It seemed to get way off-time every time it ran through the cycle. The clock was OK on non-watering days. Tech support at Toro didn't seem to know what to think about it at first, but then told me that it was due to the location being too close to the pump start relay switch (about 6 feet). I'm not smart enough to know how that could be. The controller expired during our recent round of hurricanes (possibly due to the herd of carpenter ants that sought refuge in the case, but that's another topic), and I'm planning on spending the extra bucks on a Rainbird RC-C, in large part due to the reported durability of the elecro-mechanical system, and in the hopes that it will behave better in the location I've used in the past. However, if I need to move it I will. I've also got two AC compressors now located right in this area. Will all of this present a problem for the controller clock? Thanks a bunch for your help!

BTanner

Saturday, October 16th 2004, 3:16am

You may what to have your AC power frequency checked (Hertz). The US operates on a 60 cycle frequency. That is how electronic clocks in the US keep track of time, so <b>ANY</b> variaton in that frequency <b>WILL</b> cause the loss of accurate time. I'm pretty sure that a mechanical timer would use voltage not Hz, which will have more of a tolerance to varing voltage than the electronic one would have on a varing frequency, because it operates a small motor to turn a series of gears in order to kept accurate time. I suggest a starting point be to have the Hz checked, and if you think it's possible that it is encountering interference by other appliances, check it while running those appliances. Most of your upper end digital VOM meters are eqipped with a Hz scale. I know that Fluke meters have that feature.[8D]

It is possible to be within the 10-15% acceptable range on voltage while out of tolerance on the frequency. Just ask anyone who has a Auto-matic standby generator installed on their home if their electronic clocks don't either gain or loss time when operating on the standby system for several hours. Most of the time their clocks will speed up.[:D]

gettingsoaked

Monday, October 18th 2004, 8:30pm

Thanks very much, BTanner! I very much appreciate your time in answering my post. Very interesting lesson - The entire clock/Hz issue was completely new to me! I installed the electro-mechanical system (RainBird RC7-C) on Sunday, and it both ran fine and seems to be keeping good time so far! Best Regards. Larry

Rate this thread