You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Fapp

Monday, February 21st 2005, 10:11am

Rain Bird Controller - No Power

I had a Rain Bird ESP-6TM that kept blowing fuses sometime during the run time for zone 3. After changing the fuses a few times, the transformer went bad. I replaced the transformer with same kind and the circuit board started burning and zone 1 and 3 turned on at the same time.

I put a new ESP-8TM controller on and it ran fine for a few cycles but now it has a no-power condition. The fuse is good but the transformaer is cold to the touch (it was initially warm to the touch). I suspect the transformer is out. Any ideas how to trouble shoot this scenario? Could something in the wiring to the zone valves or a zone valve be causing the transformers to go out? I know it's not a lightning strike and am pretty sure it's not a power surge.

water miser

Tuesday, February 22nd 2005, 2:41pm

shorts cause fuses and x-formers to blow.
i would disconect wire to zone 3 at the controller and zone 3 valve
ohm out valve#3 solinoid .1-.10 ohms is a shorted coil 20-60 ohms is normal.check for continuity between common and zone 3 wire if there's continuity bad wire.if there is no spares you have to replace the wire.if you are not comfortable doing this i would call a pro.

Fapp

Saturday, February 26th 2005, 8:59pm

Water Miser - It was a bad solenoid on zone valve 3. Thanks for the tips.

nestors

Advanced Member

Thursday, April 7th 2005, 8:51am

you have bad selenoids that are blowing fuses . remove wire from transformer from the timer plug it in and check voltage with meter if you have 24 volts your transformer is good if not replce it.
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

Rate this thread